The LSU Tigers (16-12, 7-9 SEC) will travel to Colonial Life Arena to go head-to-head against the South Carolina Gamecocks (15-14, 6-10 SEC) in their home finale. The game’s Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 142.5 points with South Carolina opening as a 4.5-point favorite. Action begins at 6:30 p.m. ET on Wednesday, February 28, 2018, and it can be seen on SEC Network.
LSU Tigers vs. South Carolina Gamecocks Odds Preview
The Tigers fell to the Georgia Bulldogs in their last contest, 93-82. LSU’s Skylar Mays had 20 points and six steals in the contest. Georgia had a free throw rate of 0.459 (above their season average of 0.288). LSU, meanwhile, had a better turnover percentage (14.1 vs. 16.5).
The last time the Gamecocks played, they were beaten by the Mississippi State Bulldogs, 72-68. With 11 points and 12 rebounds, South Carolina’s Chris Silva had a solid game. Mississippi State did a fantastic job of converting from the free throw line (18-23; 78.3 percent). South Carolina, on the other hand, held the Bulldogs to an offensive rebounding percentage of 19.4 (below their season average of 32.7).
South Carolina could dominate the offensive glass in this meeting. The Gamecocks currently rank 47th in offensive rebounding percentage (33.7 percent), while LSU ranks 302nd in defensive rebounding percentage (68.2 percent). Furthermore, the Tigers rank 42nd in offensive efficiency (113.4), while the Gamecocks rank 56th in defensive efficiency (98.7).
Of LSU’s 25 games that accepted bets, 13 have finished over the projected point total, while 14 of South Carolina’s 28 games have finished over the projected point total. Both teams have very similar records straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS). The Tigers are 16-12 SU and 12-10-3 ATS, while the Gamecocks are 15-14 SU and 13-14-1 ATS.
Mays has been playing at a high level over the last five games for LSU, averaging 11.2 points and 1.8 steals per game.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams, after the Gamecocks won the sole game last season, 88-63. The Gamecocks dominated every stat category in the game. They had an extraordinary free throw rate of 0.344 and a turnover percentage of 15.8. For those same stats, the Tigers were 0.150 and 25.0, respectively.
LSU Tigers vs. South Carolina Gamecocks Betting Prediction
Free Basketball Tip: SU Winner – South Carolina, ATS Winner – LSU, O/U – Over
- The Tigers average 3.5 blocks per game, which ranks 104th in the NCAA. The Gamecocks rank 204th in blocks allowed per game (5.4).
- South Carolina ranks 30th in assists allowed per game (11.2) while LSU ranks 84th (12.5).
- On the road, LSU is 4-7-1 ATS with 7 overs and 5 unders.
- South Carolina is 6-7 ATS at home with 7 overs, 5 unders and 1 push.
- South Carolina ranks 43rd in three pointers allowed per game (19.6) while LSU ranks 233rd (23.8).
- The Tigers rank 44th in steals per game (7.4) while the Gamecocks rank 199th in steals allowed per game (7.1).
- South Carolina ranks 91st in rebounds per game (36.9) while LSU ranks 236th (33.4).
- South Carolina is 4-1 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, LSU is 3-2 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Gamecocks have been outscored by an average of 2.6 points in their last five games. On the season, South Carolina has defeated opponents by an average of 1.4 points.
- During their last five games, the Tigers have scored an average of 76.2 points per game (1.5 below their season average) and allowed an average of 76.0 points per game (2.0 above their season average).