SEC foes will battle when the No. 18 Tennessee Volunteers (15-5, 5-3 SEC) take on the LSU Tigers (12-8, 3-5 SEC) at Thompson-Boling Arena. The Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 142 points with Tennessee set as an 11-point favorite. Action gets underway at 6:30 p.m. ET on Wednesday, January 31, 2018, and it can be seen on SEC Network.
LSU Tigers at Tennessee Volunteers Odds Preview
The Tigers got blown out by the No. 19 Auburn Tigers in their last game, 95-70. LSU’s Randy Onwuasor put together a solid performance, recording 14 points. Auburn had an offensive rebounding percentage of 50.0 (above their season average of 34.7). LSU, on the other hand, did an excellent job of making free throws (16-19; 84.2 percent).
The last time the Volunteers played, they blew out the Iowa State Cyclones, 68-45. Tennessee was lifted by Lamonte Turner, who was the games high scorer with 20 points on 7-for-13 shooting. The Volunteers, who came into the game averaging an offensive rebounding percentage of 34.2, had an extraordinary mark of 41.0 and held the Cyclones to an effective field goal percentage of 0.373 (below their season average of 0.505).
The offensive glass should be a huge advantage for Tennessee in this battle. The Volunteers currently rank 38th in offensive rebounding percentage (34.6 percent), while LSU ranks 318th in defensive rebounding percentage (67.1 percent). Also, the Tigers rank 40th in effective field goal percentage (0.552), while the Volunteers rank 49th in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.472).
Of LSU’s 17 games with betting action, nine have finished under the O/U total, while 10 of Tennessee’s 17 games have finished under the O/U total. The Volunteers hold a clear advantage in both straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records. They are 15-5 SU and 11-7 ATS, while the Tigers are 12-8 SU and 8-7-2 ATS.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams. The Tigers won the lone game played against each other last season, 92-82. The Tigers dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a superb turnover percentage of 9.7 and an extraordinary free throw rate of 0.466. The Volunteers were 16.2 and 0.361, respectively, for those same stats.
LSU Tigers at Tennessee Volunteers Odds Prediction
Basketball Tip: SU Winner – Tennessee, ATS Winner – Tennessee, O/U – Under
- The Tigers rank 34th in steals per game (7.8) while the Volunteers rank 88th (6.8).
- On the road, LSU is 4-4 ATS with 4 overs and 4 unders.
- Tennessee is 3-5 ATS at home with 5 unders and 2 overs.
- Tennessee ranks 97th in three pointers allowed per game (20.8) while LSU ranks 230th (24.2).
- The Volunteers rank 29th in blocks per game (5.0) while the Tigers rank 105th (3.5).
- Tennessee ranks 38th in assists per game (16.4) while LSU ranks 102nd (14.6).
- Tennessee is 3-2 ATS with 5 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, LSU is 1-4 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Volunteers average margin of victory in their last five games has been 8.8, down from 9.0 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Tigers have scored an average of 68.8 points per game (9.9 below their season average) and allowed an average of 74.4 points per game (1.9 above their season average).