The Memphis Tigers (9-3) will be at home in FedExForum when they meet the LSU Tigers (8-3). LSU is a 2.5-point favorite on the opening line, while the games Over/Under (O/U) opened at 147 points. Action begins at 9 p.m. ET on Thursday, December 28, 2017, and it can be seen on CBS Sports Network.
LSU Tigers vs. Memphis Tigers Free Preview
The last time LSU played, they won big over the North Florida Ospreys, 104-52. Tremont Waters was the top scorer from either team with 15 points on 5-for-9 shooting. LSU played a perfect game. They had a great turnover percentage of 8.7 (better than their season average of 15.5) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 42.1 (above their season average of 35.9). North Florida recorded marks of 24.5 and 17.1, respectively, for those same stats.
Memphis will look to maintain momentum after defeating the Loyola Maryland Greyhounds in its last outing, 83-71. Raynere Thornton led the way for Memphis, contributing 16 points and 11 rebounds. Memphis played a nearly flawless game. They had a phenomenal free throw rate of 0.345 (above their season average of 0.313) and a turnover percentage of 13.1 (better than their season average of 16.8). For those same stats, Loyola Maryland recorded marks of 0.190 and 17.5, respectively.
These two teams are complete opposites in terms of the O/U total. Games involving LSU have finished over 62.5 percent of the time, while 55.6 percent of Memphis games have gone under. Both teams have respectable straight up (SU) records (8-3 for LSU; 9-3 for Memphis), but LSU has the edge against the spread (ATS). They are 4-3-1 ATS, while Memphis is 3-5-1.
Jeremiah Martin has been superb over the last five games for Memphis, averaging 18.8 points, 4.4 assists and 3.4 steals per game.
LSU Tigers vs. Memphis Tigers Free Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – LSU, ATS Winner – LSU, O/U – Under
- LSU ranks 20th in rebounds allowed per game (30.6) while Memphis ranks 98th (33.9).
- LSU averages 8.1 steals per game, which ranks 39th in the nation. Memphis ranks 110th in steals allowed per game (6.7).
- LSU averages 15.9 assists per game, which ranks 63rd in the NCAA. Memphis ranks 182nd in assists allowed per game (15.0).
- LSU ranks seventh in blocks allowed per game (2.0) while Memphis ranks 120th (3.8).
- LSU averages 22.7 three pointers per game, which ranks 125th in the NCAA. Memphis ranks 206th in three pointers allowed per game (24.6).
- Memphis average margin of victory in their last five games has been 6.8, up from 2.6 for the season.
- During their last five games, LSU has scored an average of 88.6 points per game (2.7 above their season average) and allowed an average of 70.8 points per game (3.7 below their season average).