The Loyola Marymount Lions (5-6) will attempt to snap the six-game winning streak of Saint Mary’s when they travel to McKeon Pavilion to clash against the Gaels (11-2). The game’s Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 149 points with Saint Mary’s opening as a 17-point favorite. Action gets underway at 11 p.m. ET on Thursday, December 28, 2017.
Loyola Marymount Lions vs. Saint Mary’s Gaels ATS Preview
The last time the Lions played, they fell to the Cal State Fullerton Titans, 88-80. James Batemon put together a solid performance for Loyola Marymount, leading both teams in scoring with 29 points on 10-for-16 shooting. Cal State Fullerton did an excellent job of converting from the charity stripe (26-31; 83.9 percent). Loyola Marymount, meanwhile, had an offensive rebounding percentage of 50.0 (above their season average of 39.2).
The Gaels come in on a high note after blowing out the UNC Asheville Bulldogs in their last contest, 95-69. Saint Mary’s received a boost from Jock Landale, who was the top scorer from either team with 23 points on 9-for-13 shooting. The Gaels, who came into the game averaging an offensive rebounding percentage of 30.7, had an absurd mark of 42.4 and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.638 (above their season average of 0.578).
Saint Mary’s could have their way on the offensive side of the ball as their high-powered offense faces off against one of the worst defenses in the NCAA. The Gaels currently rank second in offensive efficiency, while Loyola Marymount ranks 280th in defensive efficiency. Moreover, the Lions rank second in offensive rebounding percentage (40.2 percent), while the Gaels rank 24th in defensive rebounding percentage (76.0 percent).
In terms of the O/U total, these teams are complete opposites. Games featuring Loyola Marymount have gone over 62.5 percent of the time, while Saint Mary’s games have gone under 55.6 percent of the time. The Gaels have the better straight up (SU) record (11-2 vs. 5-6), but the Lions hold the clear advantage against the spread (ATS) (5-3 vs. 3-6).
Landale has been playing at a high level over the last five games for Saint Mary’s, averaging 21.8 points and 11.0 rebounds per game.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams, after the Gaels won both matchups last season. In the last game, Saint Mary’s won 81-48. The Gaels played a nearly flawless game. They had a superb free throw rate of 0.319 and an absurd offensive rebounding percentage of 40.9. For those same stats, the Lions were 0.120 and 17.6, respectively.
Loyola Marymount Lions vs. Saint Mary’s Gaels Odds Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Saint Mary’s, ATS Winner – Loyola Marymount, O/U – Over
- The Gaels are second in the NCAA with 28.2 rebounds allowed per game while the Lions are 59th with 32.6 rebounds allowed per game.
- Saint Mary’s is 1-3 ATS at home, while Loyola Marymount is 4-1 ATS on the road.
- The Lions have 3 overs and 2 unders in 5 road games.
- The Gaels have 3 unders and 1 over in 4 home games.
- Saint Mary’s averages 17.2 assists per game, which ranks 33rd in the nation. Loyola Marymount ranks 196th in assists allowed per game (15.5).
- The Gaels rank seventh in steals allowed per game (4.3) while the Lions rank 147th (7.5).
- Saint Mary’s ranks 12th in three pointers allowed per game (16.6) while Loyola Marymount ranks 132nd (21.9).
- Saint Mary’s is 1-2 ATS with 2 unders and 1 over in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Loyola Marymount is 3-2 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under.
- The Gaels average margin of victory in their last five games has been 17.6, up from 14.0 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Lions have scored an average of 78.0 points per game (0.5 below their season average) and allowed an average of 79.4 points per game (1.9 above their season average).