The Drake Bulldogs (12-9, 6-2 MVC) look to put an end to the five-game winning streak of Loyola Chicago when they welcome the Ramblers (16-4, 6-2 MVC) to Knapp Center. Loyola Chicago is a 2.5-point favorite on the opening line, while the game’s Over/Under (O/U) opened at 136.5 points. Action gets underway at 8 p.m. ET on Wednesday, January 24, 2018.
Loyola Chicago Ramblers vs. Drake Bulldogs Free Preview
The Ramblers were victorious over the Valparaiso Crusaders in their last game, 70-54. Clayton Custer was Loyola Chicago’s high scorer with 18 points on 6-for-12 shooting. Loyola Chicago dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a turnover percentage of 11.6 (better than their season average of 18.8) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 30.0 (above their season average of 23.4). Valparaiso recorded marks of 19.6 and 19.4, respectively, for those same stats.
In the Bulldogs last matchup, they defeated the Missouri State Bears, 61-58. With 24 points on 7-for-18 shooting, Reed Timmer was the top scorer from either team. The Bulldogs knocked down 18 of their 21 free throws (85.7 percent) and held the Bears to an offensive rebounding percentage of 27.3 (below their season average of 35.1).
Second-chance points could be few and far between for Drake in this showdown. The Bulldogs currently rank 305th in offensive rebounding percentage (24.5 percent), while Loyola Chicago ranks 84th in defensive rebounding percentage (73.6 percent). Also, the Ramblers 14th-ranked offense (effective field goal percentage of 0.576) will battle against the Bulldogs’ 255th-ranked defense (effective field goal percentage allowed of 0.520).
In terms of the O/U total, these teams are complete opposites. Games including Loyola Chicago have gone under 56.3 percent of the time, while 55.6 percent of Drake games have finished over. The Ramblers have the substantial advantage straight up (SU) (16-4 vs. 12-9), but both teams have comparable against the spread (ATS) records. Loyola Chicago is 11-5 ATS, while Drake is 11-6-1 ATS.
This is the first time these teams will meet this year. Each won one of the two games played against each other last season. In the most recent contest, the Ramblers won 80-65. The Ramblers dominated every facet of the game. They had a great offensive rebounding percentage of 27.3 and a superb turnover percentage of 9.2. For those same stats, the Bulldogs put up marks of 13.9 and 13.7, respectively.
Loyola Chicago Ramblers at Drake Bulldogs ATS Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Loyola Chicago, ATS Winner – Loyola Chicago, O/U – Under
- The Bulldogs rank 136th in steals per game (6.0) while the Ramblers rank 143rd in steals allowed per game (7.0).
- On the road, Loyola Chicago is 7-2 ATS with 7 unders and 2 overs.
- At home, Drake is 5-0 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- Drake ranks 101st in three pointers attempted per game (23.5) while Loyola Chicago ranks 260th (17.5).
- The Ramblers rank 36th in assists allowed per game (11.4) while the Bulldogs rank 194th (15.0).
- Loyola Chicago ranks 18th in rebounds allowed per game (30.6) while Drake ranks 154th (35.4).
- Drake is 3-2 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Loyola Chicago is 5-0 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Bulldogs have been outscored by an average of 1.8 points in their last five games. For the season, Drake has defeated opponents by an average of 2.2 points.
- During their last five games, the Ramblers have scored an average of 70.8 points per game (1.6 below their season average) and allowed an average of 59.0 points per game (4.5 below their season average).