The Marshall Thundering Herd (10-4, 1-0 CUSA) will try to extend a nine-game home winning streak when they go head-to-head against the Louisiana Tech Bulldogs (7-5, 0-1 CUSA) at Henderson Center. Marshall opened as a 2-point favorite, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game has been set at 167 points. Action starts at 7 p.m. ET on Saturday, December 30, 2017, and it can be seen on ESPN 3.
Louisiana Tech Bulldogs vs. Marshall Thundering Herd Betting Preview
In the Bulldogs last game, they lost a tough one against the Western Kentucky Hilltoppers, 69-68. DaQuan Bracey put together a solid performance for Louisiana Tech, putting up 13 points, seven assists and five rebounds. Western Kentucky had a free throw rate of 0.357 (above their season average of 0.233). Louisiana Tech, on the other hand, had an offensive rebounding percentage of 37.2 (above their season average of 29.2).
The Thundering Herd come in on a high note after dismantling the Southern Miss Golden Eagles in their last contest, 85-66. Marshall was led by Ajdin Penava, who finished with 18 points and 15 rebounds. Marshall dominated every stat category in the game. They had an extraordinary offensive rebounding percentage of 42.1 (above their season average of 24.8) and a free throw rate of 0.194 (below their season average of 0.274). For those same stats, Southern Miss put up marks of 11.4 and 0.085, respectively.
Opposite tempos will be on display in this battle. Marshall likes to play fast (fifth in possessions per game), while Louisiana Tech likes to grind-it-out (131st in possessions per game).
Of Louisiana Tech’s 10 games that accepted bets, seven have finished under the projected point total, while 6 of Marshall’s 11 games have finished over the projected point total. The Thundering Herd have the sizable advantage straight up (SU) (10-4 vs. 7-5), but both teams are near the .500 mark against the spread (ATS).
Penava has taken his game to another level over the last five games for Marshall, averaging 21.0 points, 10.4 rebounds, 6.6 blocks and 2.4 steals per game.
This is the first time these teams will meet this year, after splitting two games last season. In the most recent game, the Thundering Herd won 93-77. Marshall made 19 of their 35 three pointers (54.3 percent). Louisiana Tech was, on the other hand, 5-23 (21.7 percent).
Louisiana Tech Bulldogs vs. Marshall Thundering Herd Free Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Marshall, ATS Winner – Marshall, O/U – Under
- The Thundering Herd rank 10th in blocks per game (6.4) while the Bulldogs rank 95th in blocks allowed per game (3.4).
- Louisiana Tech averages 6.3 steals per game, which ranks 117th in the nation. Marshall ranks 143rd in steals allowed per game (7.2).
- On the road, Louisiana Tech is 4-3 ATS with 5 unders and 2 overs.
- At home, Marshall is 4-2 ATS with 3 overs and 3 unders.
- Marshall ranks 20th in assists per game (17.9) while Louisiana Tech ranks 155th (13.3).
- The Bulldogs average 37.1 rebounds per game, which ranks 111th in the nation. The Thundering Herd rank 241st in rebounds allowed per game (39.2).
- Louisiana Tech ranks 15th in three pointers allowed per game (17.3) while Marshall ranks 140th (22.3).
- Marshall is 4-1 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Louisiana Tech is 2-3 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over.
- The Thundering Herd’s average margin of victory in their last five games has been 8.8, up from 7.4 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Bulldogs have scored an average of 74.6 points per game (6.4 below their season average) and allowed an average of 73.2 points per game (2.6 above their season average).