The Los Angeles Lakers (23-32) head to New Orleans to take on the Pelicans (30-26) in a game that will likely be up-tempo. The games Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 226 points with New Orleans opening as a 5-point favorite. Tip-off is set for 8 p.m. ET on Wednesday, February 14, 2018, and it can be seen on Fox Sports – New Orleans.
Los Angeles Lakers at New Orleans Pelicans ATS Preview
The Lakers fell to the Dallas Mavericks in their last outing, 130-123. Los Angeles Kyle Kuzma put together a good performance, contributing 12 points and 15 rebounds. Dallas had a turnover percentage of 8.2 (better than their season average of 11.3). Los Angeles, on the other hand, made 16 of their 34 three pointers (47.1 percent).
In the Pelicans last game, they beat the Detroit Pistons, 118-103. With 38 points on 14-for-24 shooting, Anthony Davis was the top scorer from either team. The Pelicans held the Pistons to an effective field goal percentage of 0.416 (below their season average of 0.514) and had a turnover percentage of 9.3 (better than their season average of 13.5).
There could be plenty of transition action in this matchup that showcases a pair of the leagues more up-tempo teams. New Orleans currently ranks second in possessions per game (102.8) and Los Angeles is first (103.7).
Of Los Angeles 55 games, 28 have finished over the projected point total, while 33 of New Orleans 56 games have finished over the projected point total. The Pelicans have the significant advantage straight up (SU) (30-26 vs. 23-32), but both teams have similar against the spread (ATS) records. New Orleans is 29-27, while Los Angeles is 29-26 ATS.
Brandon Ingram has really been playing well over the last five games for Los Angeles, averaging 18.0 points and 6.2 assists per game.
These teams have already met once this season. In that game, the two teams combined to put up 231 points, which was over the projected point total of 222. The Pelicans won 119-112, covering as 5.5-point favorites. New Orleans effective field goal percentage was its largest strength over Los Angeles. The Pelicans had a rate of 0.627 while the Lakers posted a mark of 0.539. Davis put up a double-double in the victory with 27 points and 17 rebounds.
Los Angeles Lakers vs. New Orleans Pelicans Odds Prediction
Pick: SU Winner – Lakers, ATS Winner – Lakers, O/U – Under
- The Pelicans rank fourth in blocks allowed per game (4.1) while the Lakers rank 27th (5.6).
- New Orleans averages 16.3 points off turnovers per game, which ranks 14th in the NBA. Los Angeles ranks 29th in points off turnovers allowed per game (19.0).
- Los Angeles ranks second in rebounds per game (46.4) while New Orleans ranks 25th in rebounds allowed per game (45.0).
- Los Angeles averages 27.8 three pointers per game, which ranks 19th in the league. New Orleans ranks 29th in three pointers allowed per game (31.6).
- Los Angeles is 13-14 ATS on the road, while New Orleans is 11-15 ATS at home.
- The total has gone over in 19 of the Pelicans 26 home games, while 14 of the Lakers 27 road games have gone under.
- In games where they hold opponents below 100 points, New Orleans is 8-1 and Los Angeles is 11-3.
- In games where they reach 100 points, the Pelicans are 28-18 and the Lakers are 20-19.
- The Lakers rank 10th in steals per game (8.2) while the Pelicans rank 25th in steals allowed per game (8.4).
- New Orleans ranks second in points in the paint per game (50.3) while Los Angeles ranks 28th in points allowed in the paint per game (48.7).
- The Lakers average 17.1 fast break points per game, which ranks second in the NBA. The Pelicans rank 28th in fast break points allowed per game (14.0).
- The Lakers average 23.5 assists per game, which ranks ninth in the league. The Pelicans rank 23rd in assists allowed per game (24.3).
- Los Angeles ranks second in second chance points per game (14.4) while New Orleans ranks 27th in second chance points allowed per game (13.8).
- New Orleans is 2-3 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Los Angeles is 4-1 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over.
- The Pelicans average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 5.6, up from 0.2 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Lakers have scored an average of 110.2 points per game (3.2 above their season average) and allowed an average of 101.4 points per game (8.1 below their season average).