The Denver Nuggets (35-30) will be at home in Pepsi Center when they clash with the Los Angeles Lakers (29-35). The Over/Under (O/U) for the game has been set at 230 points with Denver opening as a 6.5-point favorite. Action starts at 9 p.m. ET on Friday, March 9, 2018, and it can be seen on Altitude Sports & Entertainmnt.
Los Angeles Lakers vs. Denver Nuggets Betting Preview
The Lakers edged the Orlando Magic in their last game, 108-107. With 20 points and 10 rebounds, Kyle Kuzma had a solid outing for Los Angeles. Los Angeles’ turnover percentage was their largest strength over Orlando. The Lakers had a rate of 13.0 (better than their season average of 13.4), while the Magic posted a mark of 14.9.
In the Nuggets’ last game, they were defeated by the Cleveland Cavaliers, 113-108. Nikola Jokic was Denver’s high scorer with 36 points on 12-for-14 shooting. Cleveland had a turnover percentage of 9.5 (better than their season average of 12.6). Denver, meanwhile, had an offensive rebounding percentage of 33.3 (above their season average of 26.1).
Denver should have an edge on the offensive glass in this showdown. The Nuggets are among the league’s elite on the offensive glass, ranking second in offensive rebounding percentage at 26.2 percent. Meanwhile, Los Angeles ranks 15th in the NBA at corralling defensive rebounds with a defensive rebounding percentage of 77.4 percent. Moreover, the Lakers, who rank 23rd in free throw attempt (FTA) rate (0.182), will clash against the Nuggets, who rank fourth in opponents’ FTA rate (0.175).
Of Los Angeles’ 64 games, 35 have finished over the projected point total, while 33 of Denver’s 65 games have finished under the O/U total. The Nuggets hold the clear advantage straight up (SU) (35-30 vs. 29-35), but the Lakers have the superior against the spread (ATS) record (35-29 vs. 29-33-3).
Julius Randle and Isaiah Thomas have been playing well over the last five games for Los Angeles. Randle has averaged 20.4 points, 8.8 rebounds and 1.4 steals per game, while Thomas has put up 19.8 points and 5.8 assists per game.
These two teams have already met twice this year, each winning once. Jamal Murray scored a game-high 28 points in the most recent matchup, in which the Nuggets defeated the Lakers 115-100, covering as 3.5-point favorites. The two teams combined to score 215 points, which was 7 points below the projected point total of 222 points. The Nuggets played a nearly flawless game. They had a turnover percentage of 10.8 and a superb free throw rate of 0.264. For those same stats, the Lakers recorded marks of 18.1 and 0.174, respectively.
Los Angeles Lakers vs. Denver Nuggets ATS Prediction
Free NBA Tip: SU Winner – Lakers, ATS Winner – Lakers, O/U – Over
- The Lakers rank sixth in assists per game (23.9) while the Nuggets rank 25th in assists allowed per game (24.5).
- Denver ranks 16th in blocks allowed per game (4.8) while Los Angeles ranks 28th (5.6).
- Denver averages 17.4 points off turnovers per game, which ranks ninth in the league. Los Angeles ranks 26th in points off turnovers allowed per game (18.5).
- Los Angeles averages 8.1 steals per game, which ranks 11th in the league. Denver ranks 21st in steals allowed per game (8.2).
- Los Angeles is 18-15 ATS on the road, while Denver is 17-16-1 ATS at home.
- In 33 road games, the Lakers have 19 overs and 14 unders.
- In 34 home games, the Nuggets have 18 unders and 16 overs.
- In games where they allow below 100 points, Los Angeles is 11-3 and Denver is 13-2.
- The Lakers are 26-22 when they score above 100 points, while the Nuggets are 29-21.
- The Lakers average 17.3 fast break points per game, which ranks second in the NBA. The Nuggets rank 18th in fast break points allowed per game (12.3).
- Denver ranks second in second chance points allowed per game (10.5) while Los Angeles ranks 29th (13.7).
- The Nuggets average 49.3 points in the paint per game, which ranks fourth in the league. The Lakers rank 29th in points allowed in the paint per game (48.6).
- The Nuggets average 30.4 three pointers per game, which ranks ninth in the league. The Lakers rank 20th in three pointers allowed per game (30.1).
- Denver ranks first in rebounds allowed per game (41.0) while Los Angeles ranks 24th (45.1).
- Denver is 1-4 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Los Angeles is 3-2 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Nuggets have been outscored by an average of 0.6 points in their last five games. On the season, Denver has defeated opponents by an average of 0.8 points.
- During their last five games, the Lakers have scored an average of 116.2 points per game (7.9 above their season average) and allowed an average of 108.8 points per game (1.1 below their season average). >/ul>