The Charlotte Hornets (9-15) will be at home in Spectrum Center when they go head-to-head with the Los Angeles Lakers (9-15). Charlotte is a 5.5-point favorite on the opening line, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 213.5 points. Action starts at 7 p.m. ET on Saturday, December 9, 2017, and it can be seen on Fox Sports Carolina.
Los Angeles Lakers vs. Charlotte Hornets Free Preview
The last time the Lakers played, they won a close one over the Philadelphia 76ers, 107-104. With 10 points, eight rebounds and eight assists, Lonzo Ball played well for Los Angeles. The Lakers had a great turnover percentage of 9.4 (better than their season average of 14.7) and had an offensive rebounding percentage of 28.8 (above their season average of 22.4).
The Hornets are hoping for a better outcome after their 119-111 loss to the Chicago Bulls in their last outing. Dwight Howard was the top scorer from either team with 25 points on 11-for-23 shooting. Chicago had a better effective field goal percentage (0.515 vs. 0.450). Charlotte, meanwhile, had a better turnover percentage (8.9 vs. 11.4).
The offense of Charlotte will battle against the top-notch defense of Los Angeles. The Hornets rank 21st in offensive efficiency, while the Lakers are eighth in defensive efficiency. The Lakers figure to have the advantage on that end of the court.
Of Los Angeles 24 games, 13 have finished under the O/U total, while 12 of Charlotte’s 23 games have finished under the projected point total. Both teams have mediocre straight up (SU) records (9-15 for Los Angeles; 9-15 for Charlotte), but the Lakers hold a slight edge against the spread (ATS). Los Angeles is 11-13 ATS, while the Hornets are 10-12-1.
Brandon Ingram has been playing at a high level over the last five games for Los Angeles, averaging 19.8 points and 5.8 rebounds per game.
This is the first time these teams will go head-to-head this year. The Hornets won both meetings played against each other last season. In the last game, Charlotte won 109-104. The Hornets dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a free throw rate of 0.200 and an offensive rebounding percentage of 25.0. The Lakers put up marks of 0.119 and 15.0, respectively, for those same stats.
Los Angeles Lakers at Charlotte Hornets ATS Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Lakers, ATS Winner – Lakers, O/U – Under
- The Hornets rank first in second chance points allowed per game (10.0) while the Lakers rank 21st (13.2).
- Los Angeles ranks first in points in the paint per game (54.4) while Charlotte ranks 15th (43.3).
- Los Angeles averages 5.8 blocks per game, which ranks third in the league. Charlotte ranks 19th in blocks allowed per game (5.0).
- Los Angeles ranks 19th in three pointers allowed per game (29.7) while Charlotte ranks 26th (31.4).
- Los Angeles is 4-7 ATS on the road with 7 unders and 4 overs.
- Charlotte is 8-4 ATS at home with 7 unders and 5 overs.
- Los Angeles is 4-2 when they allow under 100 points, while Charlotte is 5-1.
- When reaching 100 points, the Lakers are 9-8 and the Hornets are 9-7.
- The Hornets rank third in fast break points allowed per game (8.4) while the Lakers rank 19th (11.5).
- Charlotte ranks first in points off turnovers allowed per game (14.6) while Los Angeles ranks 26th (19.7).
- The Hornets rank second in rebounds per game (47.1) while the Lakers rank 25th in rebounds allowed per game (45.9).
- The Lakers rank 15th in assists per game (22.7) while the Hornets rank 29th (20.3).
- Los Angeles ranks eighth in steals per game (8.4) while Charlotte ranks 28th (6.1).
- Charlotte is 1-4 ATS with 3 unders, 1 over and 1 push in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Los Angeles is 2-3 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Hornets average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 6.0, up from 1.8 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Lakers have scored an average of 108.0 points per game (2.2 above their season average) and allowed an average of 116.8 points per game (7.7 above their season average).