The Brooklyn Nets (18-24) will be at home in the Barclays Center when they go head-to-head against the Los Angeles Lakers (35-9). Action begins at 8 p.m. ET on Thursday, January 23, 2020, and can be seen on TNT.
Los Angeles Lakers vs. Brooklyn Nets Betting Odds
The Lakers were victorious over the New York Knicks in their last outing, 100-92, covering as 2.5-point favorites. The Nets, meanwhile, were defeated by the Philadelphia 76ers, 117-111, and were unable to cover as 2-point underdogs. The Los Angeles game finished 34.5 points under the projected point total of 226.5, while the Brooklyn game finished 10 points over the projected point total of 218.
Los Angeles played a nearly perfect game. They had a free throw rate of 0.232 (above their season average of 0.195) and a turnover percentage of 9.6 (better than their season average of 12.7). New York had marks of 0.102 and 15.4, respectively, for those same stats. Brooklyn, on the other hand, had a free throw rate of 0.272 (above their season average of 0.192). Brooklyn was led by Jarrett Allen, who finished with 13 points and 13 rebounds. Meanwhile, Anthony Davis played well for Los Angeles, putting up 28 points, five rebounds and five assists.
The Nets dominated this series last year, taking both contests. In the last matchup, Brooklyn won 111-106. Brooklyn had a better turnover percentage (11.1 vs. 12.7). Los Angeles, meanwhile, had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (34.5 vs. 21.6). This is the first time these teams will meet this year.
Vegas has typically been fairly accurate when predicting totals of Lakers games, with 22 unders compared to 21 overs. Los Angeles heads into the contest with records of 35-9 straight up (SU) and 23-19-1 against the spread (ATS).
Nets games have a slight tendency to go over the O/U total (47.6 percent). Moreover, Brooklyn owns records of 18-24 SU and 18-23-1 ATS.
Brooklyn might struggle to score as they square off against one of the NBA’s best defenses. Los Angeles ranks third in defensive efficiency, while the Nets rank 26th in offensive efficiency.
Los Angeles Lakers at Brooklyn Nets ATS Pick
Free NBA Tip: SU Winner – Nets, ATS Winner – Nets, O/U – Over
- The Nets average 37.0 three pointers per game, which ranks sixth in the NBA. The Lakers rank 10th in three pointers allowed per game (32.5).
- Los Angeles ranks first in blocks per game (7.3) while Brooklyn ranks 25th in blocks allowed per game (5.6).
- The Lakers rank third in points off turnovers per game (18.6) while the Nets rank 23rd (15.9).
- Brooklyn ranks 12th in fast break points allowed per game (12.6) while Los Angeles ranks 26th (15.5).
- Los Angeles ranks second in points in the paint per game (53.5) while Brooklyn ranks eighth in points allowed in the paint per game (46.0).
- The Lakers rank fourth in steals per game (8.5) while the Nets rank 26th (6.7).
- The Lakers rank third in second chance points per game (14.7) while the Nets rank 16th in second chance points allowed per game (13.2).
- Brooklyn allows the second-fewest assists per game (21.8) while Los Angeles ranks fifth (22.9).
- Los Angeles ranks third in rebounds allowed per game (42.5) while Brooklyn ranks 24th (46.8).
- When allowing less than 100 points, Los Angeles is 15-0 and Brooklyn is 4-1.
- The Nets are 18-18 when they score above 100 points, while the Lakers are 31-9.
- Brooklyn is 11-11 ATS at home, while Los Angeles is 12-10 ATS on the road.
- The total has gone over in 12 of the Lakers’ 22 road games, while 11 of the Nets’ 22 home games have gone under.
- The Lakers are 3-2 ATS over their last five games, while the Nets are 1-4.
- In their last five games, Los Angeles has 5 overs, while Brooklyn has 3 overs and 2 unders.
- During their last five games, the Lakers have scored an average of 115.4 points per game (1.7 above their season average) and allowed an average of 112.8 points per game (6.7 above their season average).
- The Nets’ average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 5.2, up from 2.3 for the season.