The Toronto Raptors (32-15) will be at home in Air Canada Centre when they go head-to-head with the Los Angeles Lakers (19-29). The games Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 217 points with Toronto opening as a 10-point favorite. Action starts at 6 p.m. ET on Sunday, January 28, 2018, and it can be seen on The Sports Network.
Los Angeles Lakers at Toronto Raptors Odds Preview
In the Lakers last outing, they defeated the Chicago Bulls, 108-103. Brandon Ingram was the top scorer from either team with 25 points on 10-for-18 shooting. Los Angeles dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a phenomenally low turnover percentage of 8.0 (better than their season average of 13.7) and a free throw rate of 0.231 (above their season average of 0.177). For those same stats, Chicago was 11.2 and 0.172, respectively.
The Raptors are hoping for a better outcome after their 97-93 loss to the Utah Jazz in their last outing. Jonas Valanciunas was the games leading scorer with 28 points on 12-for-16 shooting. Utah did a great job of converting from the free throw line (15-21; 71.4 percent). Toronto, meanwhile, had an offensive rebounding percentage of 30.2 (above their season average of 23.2).
From an effective field goal percentage perspective, Toronto figures to have a considerable advantage. The Raptors defense ranks fourth in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.500), while the Los Angeles offense is ranked 22nd in effective field goal percentage (0.507).
Of Los Angeles 48 games, 25 have finished over the projected point total, while 24 of Toronto’s 47 games have finished over the projected point total. The Raptors have the substantial advantage straight up (SU) (32-15 vs. 19-29), but both teams are near the .500 mark against the spread (ATS).
Julius Randle has been playing at a high level over the last five games for Los Angeles, averaging 16.0 points and 7.8 rebounds per game.
These teams have already met once this season. The two teams combined to put up 193 points in that game, which was well under the projected point total of 221. The Raptors won 101-92, covering as 6-point favorites. The Raptors 10.5 turnover percentage was their biggest strength over the Lakers, who had a rate of 19.0. Randle had a standout performance with 18 points and five rebounds.
Los Angeles Lakers at Toronto Raptors Free Prediction
Pick: SU Winner – Raptors, ATS Winner – Lakers, O/U – Under
- The Raptors rank sixth in points in the paint per game (48.0) while the Lakers rank 28th in points allowed in the paint per game (48.8).
- Toronto ranks seventh in steals per game (8.4) while Los Angeles ranks 19th in steals allowed per game (8.0).
- Toronto ranks second in three pointers allowed per game (25.4) while Los Angeles ranks 22nd (30.1).
- Los Angeles averages 23.6 assists per game, which ranks seventh in the NBA. Toronto ranks 10th in assists allowed per game (22.0).
- Los Angeles is 11-11 ATS on the road, while Toronto is 11-10 ATS at home.
- The total has gone under in 11 of the Raptors 21 home games, while 12 of the Lakers 22 road games have gone under.
- In games where they allow below 100 points, Los Angeles is 8-3 and Toronto is 15-5.
- The Raptors are 29-8 when they score more than 100 points, while the Lakers are 16-16.
- The Lakers rank second in fast break points per game (17.4) while the Raptors rank 22nd in fast break points allowed per game (12.3).
- Toronto averages 6.2 blocks per game, which ranks second in the NBA. Los Angeles ranks last in blocks allowed per game (5.7).
- The Raptors average 18.7 points off turnovers per game, which ranks first in the NBA. The Lakers rank 28th in points off turnovers allowed per game (19.2).
- The Lakers rank third in rebounds per game (46.3) while the Raptors rank 15th (43.7).
- Los Angeles ranks fourth in second chance points per game (14.1) while Toronto ranks 28th in second chance points allowed per game (13.6).
- Toronto is 1-4 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Los Angeles is 4-1 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Raptors average margin of victory in their last five games has been 2.6, down from 7.2 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Lakers have scored an average of 106.4 points per game (0.2 below their season average) and allowed an average of 103.4 points per game (6.3 below their season average).