The Orlando Magic (14-35) will be at home in Amway Center when they challenge the Los Angeles Lakers (19-30). Tip-off is set for 7 p.m. ET on Wednesday, January 31, 2018, and it can be seen on Fox SportsNet Florida.
Los Angeles Lakers at Orlando Magic Betting Preview
The Lakers lost to the Toronto Raptors in their last outing, 123-111. With 17 points on 5-for-11 shooting, Julius Randle led Los Angeles in scoring. Toronto had a better effective field goal percentage (0.565 vs. 0.478). Los Angeles, meanwhile, had a free throw rate of 0.250 (above their season average of 0.179).
The last time the Magic played, they were topped by the Houston Rockets, 114-107. With 17 points and five rebounds, Orlando’s Marreese Speights played well. Houston did a fantastic job of making free throws (23-28; 82.1 percent). Orlando, on the other hand, had a better turnover percentage (10.3 vs. 11.8).
The offensive glass could be a major edge for Los Angeles in this matchup. The Lakers are among the leagues elite on the offensive glass, ranking seventh in offensive rebounding percentage at 24.0 percent. Meanwhile, Orlando ranks 29th in the league at corralling defensive rebounds with a defensive rebounding percentage of 75.3 percent.
Of Los Angeles 49 games, 26 have finished over the O/U total, while 27 of Orlando’s 48 games have finished under the projected point total. The Lakers hold a significant advantage in terms of straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records. They are 19-30 SU and 25-24 ATS, while the Magic are 14-35 SU and 20-27-1 ATS.
Jordan Clarkson has really been playing well as of late for Los Angeles, averaging 21.6 points, 5.6 assists and 1.2 steals over the last five games.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams. Each won one of the two games played against each other last season. In the most recent contest, the Lakers won 111-95. Los Angeles effective field goal percentage was its largest advantage over Orlando. The Lakers had a rate of 0.529 while the Magic posted a mark of 0.417.
Los Angeles Lakers vs. Orlando Magic Odds Prediction
NBA Prediction: SU Winner – Lakers, ATS Winner – Lakers, O/U – Under
- The Lakers rank eighth in assists per game (23.6) while the Magic rank 26th in assists allowed per game (24.3).
- Los Angeles averages 8.4 steals per game, which ranks sixth in the league. Orlando ranks 19th in steals allowed per game (7.9).
- Orlando ranks 12th in blocks per game (4.9) while Los Angeles ranks 29th in blocks allowed per game (5.7).
- Los Angeles ranks 15th in points off turnovers per game (16.7) while Orlando ranks 22nd in points off turnovers allowed per game (17.6).
- On the road, Los Angeles is 11-12 ATS with 12 unders and 11 overs.
- At home, Orlando is 7-14 ATS with 13 unders and 8 overs.
- Los Angeles is 8-3 when they hold opponents below 100 points, while Orlando is 7-3.
- The Magic are 14-19 when they score above 100 points, while the Lakers are 16-17.
- The Lakers average 17.2 fast break points per game, which ranks second in the league. The Magic rank 18th in fast break points allowed per game (12.0).
- Los Angeles averages 53.1 points in the paint per game, which ranks first in the NBA. Orlando ranks last in points allowed in the paint per game (49.8).
- The Lakers average 46.3 rebounds per game, which ranks third in the league. The Magic rank 28th in rebounds allowed per game (45.7).
- The Magic average 29.1 three pointers per game, which ranks 13th in the league. The Lakers rank 22nd in three pointers allowed per game (30.1).
- Los Angeles ranks fourth in second chance points per game (14.2) while Orlando ranks 23rd (10.8).
- Orlando is 4-1 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Los Angeles is 4-1 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Magic’s average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 1.6, down from 5.2 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Lakers have scored an average of 110.6 points per game (3.9 above their season average) and allowed an average of 105.2 points per game (4.8 below their season average).