The Oklahoma City Thunder (30-23) will be at home in Chesapeake Energy Arena when they meet the Los Angeles Lakers (20-31). Tip-off is scheduled for 2 p.m. ET on Sunday, February 4, 2018, and it can be seen on ABC.
Los Angeles Lakers at Oklahoma City Thunder ATS Preview
In the Lakers last outing, they barely escaped the Brooklyn Nets, 102-99. With 16 points, 10 assists and eight rebounds, Brandon Ingram put together a solid game for Los Angeles. Los Angeles rebounding was their biggest strength. The Lakers had more offensive rebounds (18 vs. five), defensive rebounds (38 vs. 33) and total rebounds (56 vs. 38).
The Thunder are trying to rebound after their 114-100 loss to the New Orleans Pelicans in their last matchup. With 16 points, 14 assists and 10 rebounds, Russell Westbrook led the way for Oklahoma City with his 15th triple-double this season. New Orleans held the Thunder to an effective field goal percentage of 0.428 (below their season average of 0.515). Oklahoma City, meanwhile, held the Pelicans to an offensive rebounding percentage of 11.9 (below their season average of 19.7).
Oklahoma City should have an edge on the offensive glass in this battle. The Thunder rank first in offensive rebounding percentage (28.3 percent), while Los Angeles ranks 15th in defensive rebounding percentage (77.7 percent). Also, the Lakers rank 26th in turnover percentage (15.0 percent), while the Thunder rank second in opponents turnover percentage (15.5 percent).
Of Los Angeles 51 games, 27 have finished over the O/U total, while 29 of Oklahoma City’s 53 games have finished under the O/U total. The Thunder hold the sizable advantage straight up (SU) (30-23 vs. 20-31), but the Lakers have been superior against the spread (ATS) (26-25 vs. 21-31-1).
The Lakers Julius Randle (18.4 points and 10.2 rebounds) and Jordan Clarkson (21.4 points, 4.6 assists and 1.2 steals) have been playing well over their last five games. Meanwhile, the Thunder have their own duo of hot players. Paul George has averaged 29.2 points and 2.6 steals, while Steven Adams has averaged 14.2 points and 10.0 rebounds.
These two teams have met twice already this season, with the Thunder winning both. Adams had 21 points and 10 rebounds in the most recent contest, in which the Thunder defeated the Lakers 114-90, covering as 9.5-point favorites. The two teams combined to put up 204 points, which was 11.5 points below the projected point total of 215.5 points. The Thunder dominated every stat category in the game. They had a ridiculous offensive rebounding percentage of 46.7 and a free throw rate of 0.105. For those same stats, the Lakers were 15.4 and 0.049, respectively.
Los Angeles Lakers vs. Oklahoma City Thunder Prediction
Free NBA Tip: SU Winner – Thunder, ATS Winner – Thunder, O/U – Over
- The Thunder rank sixth in points allowed in the paint per game (42.0) while the Lakers rank 29th (48.9).
- Oklahoma City ranks fourth in fast break points per game (14.6) while Los Angeles ranks 17th in fast break points allowed per game (12.1).
- Oklahoma City ranks seventh in blocks allowed per game (4.5) while Los Angeles ranks 29th (5.7).
- Los Angeles averages 23.4 assists per game, which ranks eighth in the NBA. Oklahoma City ranks 13th in assists allowed per game (22.7).
- On the road, Los Angeles is 12-13 ATS with 13 unders and 12 overs.
- Oklahoma City is 11-15-1 ATS at home with 15 unders and 12 overs.
- When allowing less than 100 points, Los Angeles is 9-3 and Oklahoma City is 17-5.
- When scoring over 100 points, the Thunder are 26-11 and the Lakers are 17-18.
- The Thunder average 9.2 steals per game, which ranks first in the league. The Lakers rank 19th in steals allowed per game (8.0).
- Oklahoma City ranks first in second chance points per game (15.0) while Los Angeles ranks 29th in second chance points allowed per game (13.9).
- The Thunder rank first in points off turnovers per game (18.7) while the Lakers rank 28th in points off turnovers allowed per game (19.0).
- The Thunder rank 15th in three pointers attempted per game (29.2) while the Lakers rank 22nd in three pointers allowed per game (30.2).
- Oklahoma City ranks second in rebounds allowed per game (41.1) while Los Angeles ranks 26th (45.2).
- Oklahoma City is 2-3 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Los Angeles is 3-2 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Thunder have scored an equal number of points as their opponents. On the season, Oklahoma City has defeated opponents by an average of 3.6 points.
- During their last five games, the Lakers have scored an average of 106.8 points per game (0.2 above their season average) and allowed an average of 111.8 points per game (1.7 above their season average).