The New York Knicks (13-13) will be at home in Madison Square Garden when they take on the Los Angeles Lakers (10-15). New York opened as a 3.5-point favorite, while the games Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 212 points. Action gets underway at 7 p.m. ET on Tuesday, December 12, 2017, and it can be seen on ESPN.
Los Angeles Lakers vs. New York Knicks Odds Preview
The last time the Lakers played, they beat the Charlotte Hornets, 110-99. With 12 points and 14 rebounds, Los Angeles Kyle Kuzma played well. The Lakers made 15 of their 21 free throws (71.4 percent) and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.559 (above their season average of 0.501).
The Knicks hope to maintain momentum after defeating the Atlanta Hawks in their last outing, 111-107. New York rallied around Kristaps Porzingis, who was the top scorer from either team with 30 points on 10-for-23 shooting. The Knicks forced 16 turnovers and had a free throw rate of 0.350 (above their season average of 0.184).
It will be a matchup of conflicting paces as the up-tempo Lakers (ranked first in the league in possessions per game) will look to push the more methodical Knicks (19th in possessions per game).
Of Los Angeles 25 games, 14 have finished under the projected point total, while 14 of New York’s 26 games have finished under the O/U total. The Knicks hold a clear advantage in both straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records. They are 13-13 SU and 14-12 ATS, while the Lakers are 10-15 SU and 12-13 ATS.
Brandon Ingram has been playing at a high level over the last five games for Los Angeles, averaging 21.6 points and 6.0 rebounds per game.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams, after splitting two games last season. The Lakers won the last game 121-107. Los Angeles out-rebounded New York. The Lakers had more offensive rebounds (20 vs. six), defensive rebounds (35 vs. 34) and total rebounds (55 vs. 40).
Los Angeles Lakers vs. New York Knicks Odds Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Lakers, ATS Winner – Lakers, O/U – Under
- The Lakers rank eighth in steals per game (8.4) while the Knicks rank 26th (6.8).
- Los Angeles ranks 19th in three pointers allowed per game (29.5) while New York ranks 29th (32.6).
- New York ranks fourth in second chance points per game (14.5) while Los Angeles ranks 20th in second chance points allowed per game (13.1).
- New York averages 23.0 assists per game, which ranks ninth in the league. Los Angeles ranks 13th in assists allowed per game (22.2).
- Los Angeles is 5-7 ATS on the road, while New York is 12-5 ATS at home.
- The Lakers have 8 unders and 4 overs in 12 road games.
- Of the Knicks 17 home games, they have 9 unders and 8 overs.
- Los Angeles is 5-2 when they allow below 100 points, while New York is 6-0.
- When reaching 100 points, the Knicks are 12-6 and the Lakers are 10-8.
- The Lakers rank third in blocks per game (5.7) while the Knicks rank 18th (4.5).
- Los Angeles ranks second in fast break points per game (15.6) while New York ranks 29th (6.0).
- The Knicks rank second in points allowed in the paint per game (39.5) while the Lakers rank 28th (49.6).
- The Knicks rank 18th in points off turnovers per game (16.3) while the Lakers rank 28th in points off turnovers allowed per game (19.6).
- New York ranks first in rebounds allowed per game (39.4) while Los Angeles ranks 24th (45.8).
- New York is 1-4 ATS with 2 overs, 2 unders and 1 push in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Los Angeles is 3-2 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over.
- The Knicks have been outscored by an average of 2.0 points in their last five games. On the season, New York has defeated opponents by an average of 0.2 points.
- During their last five games, the Lakers have scored an average of 107.0 points per game (1.0 above their season average) and allowed an average of 112.6 points per game (3.9 above their season average).