Expect a fast-paced game when the Los Angeles Lakers (31-39), 10.5-point underdogs, visit New Orleans to play the Pelicans (42-30). The game’s Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 214.5 points and it can be seen on Fox Sports – New Orleans at 8 p.m. ET on Thursday, March 22, 2018.
Los Angeles Lakers vs. New Orleans Pelicans Betting Odds
In their last game, the Pelicans defeated the Indiana Pacers, 96-92, while the Lakers fell to the Indiana Pacers, 110-100.
The Pelicans knocked down 20 of their 24 free throws (83.3 percent) and held the Pacers to an effective field goal percentage of 0.403 (below their season average of 0.527). Los Angeles, on the other hand, had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (28.6 vs. 21.4). New Orleans received a boost from Anthony Davis, who recorded 28 points, 13 rebounds and five blocks. Kyle Kuzma played a key role for Los Angeles with 27 points and eight rebounds.
There should be plenty of transition action in this battle that features two of the league’s more up-and-down teams. New Orleans currently ranks second in possessions per game (103.2) and Los Angeles is first (103.6).
Lakers games have a slight tendency to finish over the total (52.9 percent). Los Angeles comes into the contest with records of 31-39 straight up (SU) and 37-33 against the spread (ATS).
Games featuring the Pelicans have typically finished over the O/U total (60.6 percent). Additionally, New Orleans owns records of 42-30 SU and 39-32 ATS.
The Lakers’ Julius Randle has been playing well over his last five games, averaging 25.4 points, 11.0 rebounds and 3.4 assists per game. Meanwhile, E’Twaun Moore has averaged 12.0 points and 3.2 assists during that same time frame for the Pelicans.
The Pelicans have won both matchups against the Lakers this year. The two teams combined to score 256 points in their most recent game, which was well over the projected point total of 231.5. New Orleans won 139-117, covering as a 6-point favorite. The Pelicans’ 9.2 turnover percentage was their largest strength over the Lakers, who had a rate of 17.0. Davis recorded a double-double with 42 points and 15 rebounds.
Los Angeles Lakers at New Orleans Pelicans ATS Pick
Pick: SU Winner – Lakers, ATS Winner – Lakers, O/U – Under
- The Lakers average 28.8 three pointers per game, which ranks 16th in the NBA. The Pelicans rank 24th in three pointers allowed per game (30.5).
- New Orleans ranks second in points in the paint per game (51.6) while Los Angeles ranks 29th in points allowed in the paint per game (48.6).
- The Lakers average 46.3 rebounds per game, which ranks second in the league. The Pelicans rank 27th in rebounds allowed per game (45.4).
- New Orleans averages 5.9 blocks per game, which ranks third in the league. Los Angeles ranks 26th in blocks allowed per game (5.6).
- Los Angeles averages 8.0 steals per game, which ranks 11th in the NBA. New Orleans ranks 21st in steals allowed per game (8.2).
- The Lakers average 17.3 fast break points per game, which ranks second in the NBA. The Pelicans rank 28th in fast break points allowed per game (14.4).
- The Pelicans rank second in assists per game (26.4) while the Lakers rank 17th in assists allowed per game (23.5).
- Los Angeles averages 16.6 points off turnovers per game, which ranks 14th in the NBA. New Orleans ranks 22nd in points off turnovers allowed per game (17.5).
- Los Angeles averages 14.5 second chance points per game, which ranks second in the league. New Orleans ranks 27th in second chance points allowed per game (13.6).
- When allowing less than 100 points, Los Angeles is 11-4 and New Orleans is 10-2.
- In games where they reach 100 points, the Lakers are 28-25 and the Pelicans are 39-19.
- New Orleans is 16-19 ATS at home, while Los Angeles is 18-18 ATS on the road.
- In 36 road games, the Lakers have 20 overs and 16 unders.
- Of the Pelicans’ 35 home games, they have 25 overs and 10 unders.
- The Pelicans are 3-2 ATS over their last five games, while the Lakers are 2-3.
- In their last five games, New Orleans has 3 unders and 2 overs, while Los Angeles has 4 unders and 1 over.
- During their last five games, the Pelicans have scored an average of 102.6 points per game (8.9 below their season average) and allowed an average of 98.2 points per game (12.6 below their season average).
- The Lakers have outscored opponents by an average of 0.2 points in their last five games. On the season, Los Angeles has lost by an average of 1.6 points.