The Memphis Grizzlies (13-28) will be at home in FedExForum when they take on the Los Angeles Lakers (15-27). Memphis opened as a 2-point favorite, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game has been set at 203 points. Tip-off is scheduled for 5:30 p.m. ET on Monday, January 15, 2018, and it can be seen on TNT.
Los Angeles Lakers at Memphis Grizzlies Free Preview
The Lakers defeated the Dallas Mavericks in their last game, 107-101. Julius Randle led Los Angeles in scoring with 23 points on 9-for-15 shooting. The Lakers held the Mavericks to an offensive rebounding percentage of 7.7 (below their season average of 17.0) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.439 (below their season average of 0.522).
In the Grizzlies last game, they were defeated by the Denver Nuggets, 87-78. Marc Gasol was the games high scorer with 22 points on 8-for-19 shooting. Denver made good use of their 32 trips to the free throw line, making 26 of them (81.3 percent). Memphis, on the other hand, was 11-14 (78.6 percent).
It will be a battle of contrasting styles as the up-tempo Lakers (ranked first in the NBA in possessions per game) will look to push the slower-paced Grizzlies (30th in possessions per game).
Of Los Angeles 42 games, 22 have finished over the projected point total, while 26 of Memphis 41 games have finished under the O/U total. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Lakers have a clear advantage. They are 15-27 SU and 21-21 ATS, while the Grizzlies are 13-28 SU and 15-24-2 ATS.
Lonzo Ball has been solid over the last five games for Los Angeles, averaging 11.4 points, 8.6 rebounds, 7.8 assists and 2.8 steals per game.
These two teams have met twice already this year, each winning once. Tyreke Evans scored a game-high 32 points in the most recent matchup, in which the Grizzlies defeated the Lakers 109-99, covering as 3.5-point underdogs. He also recorded seven rebounds and seven assists. The two teams combined for 208 points, which was 6 points above the projected point total of 202 points. Memphis did an excellent job of getting and making free throws (34-39; 87.2 percent). Los Angeles, on the other hand, had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (40.7 vs. 15.6).
Los Angeles Lakers at Memphis Grizzlies ATS Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Lakers, ATS Winner – Lakers, O/U – Under
- The Lakers average 16.8 fast break points per game, which ranks second in the league. The Grizzlies rank 25th in fast break points allowed per game (13.1).
- Memphis ranks ninth in points off turnovers allowed per game (15.2) while Los Angeles ranks last (19.7).
- Memphis ranks seventh in second chance points allowed per game (11.5) while Los Angeles ranks 29th (14.1).
- Los Angeles is 10-9 ATS on the road, while Memphis is 7-13-1 ATS at home.
- The total has gone under in 10 of the Lakers 19 road games, while 16 of the Grizzlies 21 home games have gone under.
- When allowing under 100 points, Los Angeles is 7-3 and Memphis is 9-9.
- In games where they score above 100 points, the Grizzlies are 8-9 and the Lakers are 13-15.
- The Lakers rank sixth in assists per game (23.5) while the Grizzlies rank 28th (20.6).
- Memphis ranks first in points allowed in the paint per game (40.0) while Los Angeles ranks 28th (49.1).
- The Lakers rank second in rebounds per game (46.8) while the Grizzlies rank 28th (39.9).
- The Grizzlies rank third in steals allowed per game (6.8) while the Lakers rank 21st (8.3).
- Memphis averages 5.3 blocks per game, which ranks fourth in the NBA. Los Angeles ranks 29th in blocks allowed per game (5.7).
- Memphis is 3-2 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Los Angeles is 4-1 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over.
- The Grizzlies have outscored opponents by an average of 0.4 points in their last five games. On the season, Memphis has lost by an average of 3.4 points.
- During their last five games, the Lakers have scored an average of 105.0 points per game (1.5 below their season average) and allowed an average of 97.8 points per game (12.4 below their season average).