The Houston Rockets (25-9) and the Los Angeles Lakers (11-23) will try to end their five-game losing streaks when they go head-to-head at Toyota Center. Houston opened as a 14.5-point favorite, while the games Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 227.5 points. Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m. ET on Sunday, December 31, 2017, and it can be seen on ATTSN Southwest.
Los Angeles Lakers vs. Houston Rockets Odds Preview
The last time the Lakers played, they lost to the Los Angeles Clippers, 121-106. Los Angeles Jordan Clarkson had a solid performance, leading the team in scoring with 20 points on 9-for-16 shooting. The Clippers did a fantastic job of converting from the charity stripe (28-34; 82.4 percent). The Lakers, meanwhile, had a better turnover percentage (10.6 vs. 11.4).
The Rockets are trying to rebound after their 121-103 loss to the Washington Wizards in their last game. With 10 points and 12 rebounds, Tarik Black had a solid performance for Houston. Washington had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (27.0 vs. 18.6). Houston, meanwhile, did an excellent job of converting from the free throw line (13-16; 81.3 percent).
The prolific offense of Houston will square off against the mid-tier defense of Los Angeles. The Rockets rank second in offensive efficiency, while the Lakers are 13th in defensive efficiency. The Rockets figure to have the advantage on that end of the court. ,
Of Los Angeles 34 games, 19 have finished over the projected point total, while 17 of Houston’s 34 games have finished over the projected point total. The Rockets have the better straight up (SU) record (25-9 vs. 11-23), but both teams have similar against the spread (ATS) records. Houston is 16-17-1, while Los Angeles is 16-18 ATS.
These two teams have already met twice this season, each winning once. In the most recent contest, the Rockets lost 122-116, unable to cover as 15-point favorites. James Harden scored a game-high 51 points and also recorded nine assists. The two teams combined for 238 points, which was 12 points above the projected point total of 226 points. The Lakers dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a solid turnover percentage of 8.8 and a great free throw rate of 0.318. The Rockets put up marks of 11.9 and 0.278, respectively, for those same stats.
Los Angeles Lakers at Houston Rockets Free Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Rockets, ATS Winner – Lakers, O/U – Over
- The Lakers average 16.2 fast break points per game, which ranks second in the NBA. The Rockets rank 23rd in fast break points allowed per game (12.5).
- Los Angeles ranks fourth in blocks per game (5.4) while Houston ranks 17th (4.7).
- Houston ranks first in three pointers attempted per game (43.1) while Los Angeles ranks 20th (26.9).
- Los Angeles ranks ninth in assists per game (22.9) while Houston ranks 12th in assists allowed per game (21.9).
- Los Angeles is 8-8 ATS on the road, while Houston is 7-10-1 ATS at home.
- The Lakers have 8 overs and 8 unders in 16 road games.
- Of the Rockets 18 home games, they have 11 overs and 7 unders.
- When allowing less than 100 points, Houston is 11-2 and Los Angeles is 5-3.
- The Lakers are 11-14 when they reach 100 points, while the Rockets are 25-6.
- The Rockets rank second in steals per game (9.2) while the Lakers rank 18th in steals allowed per game (8.1).
- Houston ranks first in rebounds allowed per game (40.8) while Los Angeles ranks 29th (45.8).
- The Lakers rank first in points in the paint per game (54.1) while the Rockets rank 27th in points allowed in the paint per game (46.6).
- The Lakers rank fifth in second chance points per game (14.3) while the Rockets rank 18th (11.8).
- Houston averages 18.4 points off turnovers per game, which ranks fifth in the NBA. Los Angeles ranks 27th in points off turnovers allowed per game (18.8).
- Houston is 0-5 ATS with 2 overs, 2 unders and 1 push in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Los Angeles is 1-4 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under.
- The Rockets have been outscored by an average of 8.0 points in their last five games. On the season, Houston has defeated opponents by an average of 8.4 points.
- During their last five games, the Lakers have scored an average of 101.4 points per game (4.9 below their season average) and allowed an average of 111.8 points per game (1.7 above their season average).