The Golden State Warriors (25-6) and the Los Angeles Lakers (11-18) clash at ORACLE Arena. The Warriors look to extend their 10-game winning streak. Tip-off is scheduled for 10:30 p.m. ET on Friday, December 22, 2017, and it can be seen on ESPN.
Los Angeles Lakers at Golden State Warriors ATS Preview
The Lakers beat the Houston Rockets in their last matchup, 122-116. Kyle Kuzma was Los Angeles high scorer with 38 points on 12-for-17 shooting. Los Angeles played a nearly flawless game. They had a great turnover percentage of 8.8 (better than their season average of 14.2) and a free throw rate of 0.318 (above their season average of 0.183). For those same stats, Houston was 11.9 and 0.278, respectively.
The last time the Warriors played, they beat the Memphis Grizzlies, 97-84. Golden State was lifted by Klay Thompson, who was the top scorer from either team with 29 points on 10-for-16 shooting. Golden State dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a superb free throw rate of 0.297 (above their season average of 0.191) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.507 (below their season average of 0.582). For those same stats, Memphis was 0.190 and 0.405, respectively.
From an effective field goal percentage perspective, Golden State figures to have a noteworthy advantage. The Warriors defense ranks first in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.488), while the Los Angeles offense is ranked 23rd in effective field goal percentage (0.506).
Of Los Angeles 29 games, 15 have finished over the O/U total, while 16 of Golden State’s 31 games have finished over the O/U total. The Warriors have the superior straight up (SU) record (25-6 vs. 11-18), but the Lakers have been superior against the spread (ATS) (15-14 vs. 15-16).
Both teams have had a player trending in the right direction over their last five games. For the Lakers, it’s been Kuzma, who has averaged 15.8 points and 7.0 rebounds, while the Warriors have gotten solid contributions from Kevin Durant (34.2 points, 10.4 rebounds, 7.4 assists and 3.0 blocks).
These two teams have met twice already this year, with the Warriors winning both. In the most recent matchup, Durant scored a game-high 36 points and the Warriors topped the Lakers 116-114 but could not cover as 5.5-point favorites. He also put up 11 rebounds and eight assists. The two teams combined for 230 points, which was 11.5 points above the projected point total of 218.5 points. Golden State won the rebounding battle. The Warriors had 15 offensive rebounds and 61 total rebounds, while the Lakers had seven and 45, respectively.
Los Angeles Lakers vs. Golden State Warriors Free Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Warriors, ATS Winner – Warriors, O/U – Under
- The Warriors average 45.2 rebounds per game, which ranks fifth in the league. The Lakers rank 26th in rebounds allowed per game (46.2).
- Golden State ranks first in assists per game (30.5) while Los Angeles ranks 17th in assists allowed per game (22.6).
- Los Angeles ranks sixth in second chance points per game (14.0) while Golden State ranks 25th (10.2).
- Golden State ranks ninth in three pointers attempted per game (30.3) while Los Angeles ranks 20th in three pointers allowed per game (30.1).
- On the road, Los Angeles is 7-8 ATS with 8 unders and 7 overs.
- Golden State is 7-7 ATS at home with 8 unders and 6 overs.
- When allowing below 100 points, Los Angeles is 5-2 and Golden State is 9-1.
- When reaching the century mark, the Lakers are 11-11 and the Warriors are 23-4.
- The Lakers rank 10th in steals per game (8.2) while the Warriors rank 26th in steals allowed per game (8.8).
- Golden State ranks first in blocks per game (8.5) while Los Angeles ranks 27th in blocks allowed per game (5.7).
- The Lakers average 15.7 fast break points per game, which ranks second in the NBA. The Warriors rank 26th in fast break points allowed per game (14.0).
- The Warriors average 17.7 points off turnovers per game, which ranks 10th in the NBA. The Lakers rank 25th in points off turnovers allowed per game (19.2).
- Los Angeles averages 54.0 points in the paint per game, which ranks first in the league. Golden State ranks 22nd in points allowed in the paint per game (45.3).
- Golden State is 2-3 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Los Angeles is 4-1 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under.
- The Warriors average margin of victory in their last five games has been 8.2, down from 10.9 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Lakers have scored an average of 113.4 points per game (6.3 above their season average) and allowed an average of 113.0 points per game (3.2 above their season average).