The Cleveland Cavaliers (20-8) will try to lengthen a nine-game home winning streak when they square off with the Los Angeles Lakers (10-16) at Quicken Loans Arena. Cleveland is a 10-point favorite on the opening line, while the games Over/Under (O/U) opened at 219 points. Tip-off is set for 8 p.m. ET on Thursday, December 14, 2017, and it can be seen on TNT.
Los Angeles Lakers at Cleveland Cavaliers Betting Preview
In the Lakers last game, they lost to the New York Knicks, 113-109. Los Angeles Lonzo Ball had a solid performance, putting up 17 points, eight rebounds and six assists. New York had a better turnover percentage (11.7 vs. 12.8). Los Angeles, on the other hand, did a fantastic job of converting from the charity stripe (12-15; 80.0 percent).
The Cavaliers come in on a high note after topping the Atlanta Hawks in their last matchup, 123-114. With 25 points on 11-for-13 shooting, LeBron James was the top scorer from either team. Cleveland’s 0.674 effective field goal percentage was their biggest advantage over Atlanta, who had a mark of 0.554. The Cavaliers mark was above their season average of 0.552.
Points at the line could be scarce for Los Angeles in this meeting. The Lakers rank 22nd in the NBA with a free throw attempt (FTA) rate of 0.184, while Cleveland ranks fifth in FTA rate allowed (0.171).
Of Los Angeles 26 games, 14 have finished under the projected point total, while 15 of Cleveland’s 28 games have finished over the O/U total. The Cavaliers hold the substantial advantage straight up (SU) (20-8 vs. 10-16), but the Lakers have been superior against the spread (ATS) (12-14 vs. 10-17-1).
This is the first time these teams will go head-to-head this year. The Cavaliers won both meetings played against each other last season. In the last game, Cleveland won 125-120. The Cavaliers played a nearly perfect game. They had a great free throw rate of 0.259 and an offensive rebounding percentage of 25.0. For those same stats, the Lakers were 0.165 and 22.7, respectively.
Los Angeles Lakers vs. Cleveland Cavaliers Free Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Cavaliers, ATS Winner – Lakers, O/U – Under
- The Cavaliers rank third in three pointers attempted per game (32.6) while the Lakers rank 20th (26.7).
- Cleveland ranks 13th in points off turnovers allowed per game (16.4) while Los Angeles ranks 27th (19.4).
- Los Angeles ranks third in rebounds per game (46.5) while Cleveland ranks 20th (42.0).
- Los Angeles averages 13.8 second chance points per game, which ranks seventh in the NBA. Cleveland ranks 15th in second chance points allowed per game (12.2).
- On the road, Los Angeles is 5-8 ATS with 8 unders and 5 overs.
- Cleveland is 2-12-1 ATS at home with 8 overs and 7 unders.
- When holding opponents under 100 points, Los Angeles is 5-2 and Cleveland is 9-0.
- In games where they reach 100 points, the Lakers are 10-9 and the Cavaliers are 20-6.
- The Lakers average 22.8 assists per game, which ranks 12th in the NBA. The Cavaliers rank 29th in assists allowed per game (25.0).
- Los Angeles ranks second in fast break points per game (15.5) while Cleveland ranks 24th (8.8).
- The Lakers rank third in blocks per game (5.7) while the Cavaliers rank 24th (3.9).
- The Cavaliers rank 13th in steals allowed per game (7.7) while the Lakers rank 25th (8.3).
- Los Angeles averages 54.2 points in the paint per game, which ranks first in the league. Cleveland ranks 19th in points allowed in the paint per game (44.7).
- Cleveland is 2-3 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Los Angeles is 2-3 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over.
- The Cavaliers’ average margin of victory in their last five games has been 8.0, up from 3.5 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Lakers have scored an average of 104.2 points per game (1.9 below their season average) and allowed an average of 109.8 points per game (0.9 above their season average).