The Chicago Bulls (18-30) will be at home in United Center when they square off against the Los Angeles Lakers (18-29). Chicago is a 4-point favorite on the opening line, while the games Over/Under (O/U) opened at 218 points. Action starts at 8 p.m. ET on Friday, January 26, 2018, and it can be seen on NBC Sports Chicago.
Los Angeles Lakers vs. Chicago Bulls Odds Preview
The Lakers edged the Boston Celtics in their last outing, 108-107. Kyle Kuzma led Los Angeles in scoring with 28 points on 10-for-16 shooting. Los Angeles played a nearly perfect game. They had a free throw rate of 0.231 (above their season average of 0.176) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 28.6 (above their season average of 24.0). For those same stats, Boston was 0.089 and 15.9, respectively.
The last time the Bulls played, they were defeated by the Philadelphia 76ers, 115-101. Bobby Portis was Chicago’s high scorer with 22 points on 8-for-12 shooting. Philadelphia was lights out from beyond the arc (16-32; 50.0 percent). Chicago, on the other hand, had a better turnover percentage (9.6 vs. 13.5).
Los Angeles could have a difficult time creating turnovers. Chicago ranks sixth in the NBA at avoiding errors (turnover percentage of 13.1 percent), while Los Angeles forces the 17th-most turnovers (14.0 percent).
Of Los Angeles 47 games, 25 have finished over the O/U total, while 27 of Chicago’s 48 games have finished over the projected point total. Both teams have middling straight up (SU) records (18-29 for Los Angeles; 18-30 for Chicago), but the Bulls have the advantage against the spread (ATS). Chicago is 28-17-3 ATS, while the Lakers are 24-23.
These teams have already met once this season. In that game, the two teams combined to score 197 points, well under the projected point total of 212. The Lakers won 103-94, covering as 6-point favorites. The Lakers dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a free throw rate of 0.200 and a turnover percentage of 10.6. The Bulls recorded marks of 0.117 and 12.2, respectively, for those same stats. Kentavious Caldwell-Pope had a standout performance in the victory, producing 21 points and eight rebounds.
Los Angeles Lakers at Chicago Bulls Odds Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Bulls, ATS Winner – Lakers, O/U – Over
- The Lakers rank seventh in assists per game (23.6) while the Bulls rank 28th in assists allowed per game (25.3).
- Los Angeles ranks second in fast break points per game (17.0) while Chicago ranks 16th (10.9).
- Los Angeles ranks 12th in blocks per game (4.9) while Chicago ranks 29th (3.7).
- Los Angeles averages 8.4 steals per game, which ranks sixth in the NBA. Chicago ranks seventh in steals allowed per game (7.1).
- Los Angeles is 10-11 ATS on the road, while Chicago is 13-8-2 ATS at home.
- The total has gone under in 11 of the Lakers 21 road games, while 12 of the Bulls 23 home games have gone under.
- Chicago is 6-5 when they hold opponents below 100 points, while Los Angeles is 8-3.
- When scoring above 100 points, the Bulls are 16-14 and the Lakers are 15-16.
- The Bulls average 30.6 three pointers per game, which ranks eighth in the NBA. The Lakers rank 22nd in three pointers allowed per game (30.0).
- Los Angeles ranks first in points in the paint per game (53.4) while Chicago ranks 27th (41.4).
- The Lakers rank third in rebounds per game (46.3) while the Bulls rank 28th in rebounds allowed per game (45.8).
- The Lakers rank 15th in points off turnovers per game (16.6) while the Bulls rank 27th (14.5).
- Los Angeles ranks fourth in second chance points per game (14.2) while Chicago ranks 27th (10.2).
- Chicago is 4-1 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Los Angeles is 3-2 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Bulls average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 0.2, down from 5.3 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Lakers have scored an average of 107.6 points per game (1.0 above their season average) and allowed an average of 107.4 points per game (2.5 below their season average).