The Brooklyn Nets (19-33) will be at home in Barclays Center when they clash with the Los Angeles Lakers (19-31). The Over/Under (O/U) for the game has been set at 217 points with Brooklyn opening as a 1.5-point favorite. Action starts at 7:30 p.m. ET on Friday, February 2, 2018, and it can be seen on YES Network.
Los Angeles Lakers at Brooklyn Nets ATS Preview
The Lakers lost big to the Orlando Magic in their last matchup, 127-105. With 20 points on 7-for-9 shooting, Julius Randle was Los Angeles high scorer. Orlando made 18 of their 32 three pointers (56.3 percent). Los Angeles, meanwhile, held the Magic to an offensive rebounding percentage of 11.1 (below their season average of 20.7).
The last time the Nets played, they defeated the Philadelphia 76ers, 116-108. Brooklyn received a boost from Jarrett Allen, who contributed 16 points and 12 rebounds. The Nets held the 76ers to an offensive rebounding percentage of 16.7 (below their season average of 25.8) and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.591 (above their season average of 0.503).
Brooklyn figures to have the advantage on the defensive side of the ball. The Nets currently rank eighth in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.510), while Los Angeles is 24th in effective field goal percentage (0.506).
Of Los Angeles 50 games, 27 have finished over the projected point total, while 29 of Brooklyn’s 52 games have finished under the projected point total. Both teams have mediocre straight up (SU) records (19-31 for Los Angeles; 19-33 for Brooklyn), but the Nets have the advantage against the spread (ATS). Brooklyn is 31-20-1 ATS, while the Lakers are 25-25.
Jordan Clarkson has really been playing well over the last five games for Los Angeles, averaging 24.0 points and 5.4 assists per game.
These teams have already met once this season. In that game, the two teams combined to put up 236 points, which was over the projected point total of 227.5. The Lakers won 124-112, covering as 3-point favorites. Los Angeles effective field goal percentage was its largest strength over Brooklyn. The Lakers had a rate of 0.559 while the Nets posted a mark of 0.456. Brook Lopez put up a double-double in the victory with 34 points and 10 rebounds.
Los Angeles Lakers vs. Brooklyn Nets Prediction
Prediction: SU Winner – Lakers, ATS Winner – Lakers, O/U – Over
- The Lakers rank second in fast break points per game (17.2) while the Nets rank 18th (10.0).
- Brooklyn ranks 15th in second chance points per game (12.3) while Los Angeles ranks last in second chance points allowed per game (14.0).
- Los Angeles ranks 14th in blocks per game (4.8) while Brooklyn ranks 29th in blocks allowed per game (5.7).
- On the road, Los Angeles is 11-13 ATS with 12 overs and 12 unders.
- Brooklyn is 14-9-1 ATS at home with 13 unders and 11 overs.
- Brooklyn is 11-1 when they hold opponents under 100 points, while Los Angeles is 8-3.
- When reaching 100 points, the Lakers are 16-18 and the Nets are 15-21.
- The Lakers average 53.2 points in the paint per game, which ranks first in the NBA. The Nets rank 16th in points allowed in the paint per game (44.8).
- Los Angeles ranks third in rebounds per game (46.2) while Brooklyn ranks 29th in rebounds allowed per game (45.8).
- The Lakers rank sixth in steals per game (8.4) while the Nets rank last (6.0).
- The Lakers rank 15th in points off turnovers per game (16.7) while the Nets rank 29th (14.0).
- Brooklyn ranks second in three pointers allowed per game (25.2) while Los Angeles ranks 22nd (30.2).
- Brooklyn is 2-3 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Los Angeles is 3-2 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under.
- The Nets average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 9.6, up from 3.6 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Lakers have scored an average of 111.8 points per game (5.1 above their season average) and allowed an average of 113.4 points per game (3.1 above their season average).