The Utah Jazz (21-21) will be 8.5-point favorites at home in Vivint Smart Home Arena when they challenge the Los Angeles Lakers (23-19). The game’s Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 217 points and it will air on ESPN at 10 p.m. ET on Friday, January 11, 2019.
Los Angeles Lakers at Utah Jazz ATS Odds
Both teams covered as favorites in their last contest. The Jazz (9.5-point favorites) defeated the Orlando Magic 106-93, while the Lakers (1-point favorites) beat the Detroit Pistons 113-100. The Utah game finished 8.5 points under the projected point total of 207.5, while the Los Angeles game went 3.5 points under the projected point total of 216.5.
Los Angeles played a nearly perfect game. They had a free throw rate of 0.159 (below their season average of 0.179) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 25.7 (above their season average of 21.7). Detroit was 0.092 and 17.4, respectively, for those same stats. Meanwhile, Utah’s effective field goal percentage was their largest strength over Orlando. The Jazz had a rate of 0.560 (above their season average of 0.529), while the Magic posted a mark of 0.476. Utah’s Donovan Mitchell had a good game, contributing 33 points and seven assists. Meanwhile, Los Angeles received a boost from Kyle Kuzma, who put up 41 points.
In their first matchup this season, LeBron James led the Lakers to a 90-83 victory. He registered a double-double with 22 points and 10 rebounds. Los Angeles covered as a 3-point favorite and the two teams combined to score 173 points, which was well under the projected point total of 219.5. Los Angeles had a better effective field goal percentage (0.500 vs. 0.412). Utah, on the other hand, had a better turnover percentage (17.0 vs. 20.9).
Lakers matchups have a tendency to go under the total (61.9 percent). Los Angeles comes into the game with records of 23-19 straight up (SU) and 18-23-1 against the spread (ATS).
Vegas has been spot on when predicting totals of Jazz games, with an even split between overs and unders. Moreover, Utah is 21-21 SU and 21-20-1 ATS.
The Lakers’ Brandon Ingram has been playing at a high level over his last five games, averaging 20 points,7.0 rebounds,4.8 assists per game. Meanwhile, Mitchell has averaged 21 points,3.4 assists,1.2 steals during that same time frame for the Jazz.
The offense of Utah will clash against the top-notch defense of Los Angeles. The Jazz rank 19th in offensive efficiency, while the Lakers are ninth in defensive efficiency. The Lakers should have the advantage on that end of the court. It will also be a battle of opposite tempos as the fast-paced Lakers rank third in possessions per game, while the more methodical Jazz rank 22nd.
Los Angeles Lakers at Utah Jazz Odds Pick
Prediction: SU Winner – Jazz, ATS Winner – Lakers, O/U – Under
- The Lakers rank fifth in blocks per game (5.7) while the Jazz rank 14th (5.2).
- Los Angeles ranks second in fast break points per game (20.1) while Utah ranks 29th (9.8).
- The Jazz rank second in three pointers allowed per game (27.3) while the Lakers rank 15th (31.1).
- Utah ranks 12th in points in the paint per game (49.0) while Los Angeles ranks 23rd in points allowed in the paint per game (51.2).
- Los Angeles ranks 14th in points off turnovers per game (17.0) while Utah ranks 24th in points off turnovers allowed per game (17.7).
- The Jazz rank second in rebounds allowed per game (42.5) while the Lakers rank 26th (46.8).
- The Jazz rank fourth in second chance points allowed per game (11.2) while the Lakers rank 15th (13.2).
- Utah ranks first in assists allowed per game (20.9) while Los Angeles ranks ninth (23.5).
- Utah averages 8.7 steals per game, which ranks eighth in the NBA. Los Angeles ranks 23rd in steals allowed per game (8.3).
- When holding opponents under 100 points, Utah is 11-3 and Los Angeles is 7-0.
- When reaching 100 points, the Lakers are 22-16 and the Jazz are 19-11.
- Los Angeles is 9-11 ATS on the road, while Utah is 10-7 ATS at home.
- The total has gone under in 11 of the Lakers’ 20 road games, while 9 of the Jazz’s 17 home games have gone over.
- The Jazz are 3-2 ATS over their last five games, while the Lakers are 2-3.
- In their last five games, Utah has 3 overs and 2 unders, while Los Angeles has 4 unders and 1 over.
- The Jazz’s average margin of victory in their last five games has been 5.2, up from 2.3 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Lakers have scored an average of 103.6 points per game (8.6 below their season average) and allowed an average of 106.2 points per game (4.6 below their season average).