The New Orleans Pelicans (26-33) will be at home in the Smoothie King Center when they meet the Los Angeles Lakers (45-13). The game can be seen on ESPN at 8 p.m. ET on Sunday, March 1, 2020.
Los Angeles Lakers vs. New Orleans Pelicans Betting Odds
Neither team was able to cover in their last outing. The Pelicans (13-point favorites) defeated the Cleveland Cavaliers, 116-104, while the Lakers (11-point favorites) were defeated by the Memphis Grizzlies, 105-88. The New Orleans game finished 15 points under the projected point total of 235, while the Los Angeles game finished 26 points under the projected point total of 219.
New Orleans dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a free throw rate of 0.125 (below their season average of 0.184) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 33.3 (above their season average of 23.8). Cleveland recorded marks of 0.074 and 21.3, respectively, for those same stats. Los Angeles, on the other hand, had a better effective field goal percentage (0.460 vs. 0.505). New Orleans received a boost from Brandon Ingram, who put up 29 points, seven assists and six rebounds. LeBron James, meanwhile played well for Los Angeles, putting up 19 points, 10 assists and eight rebounds.
In their three contests this year, the Lakers have won all three. The two teams combined for 227 points in their most recent game, which was under the projected point total of 239. Los Angeles won 118-109, covering as a 7-point favorite. Los Angeles’ rebounding was their biggest advantage. The Lakers had more offensive rebounds (14 vs. 6) and total rebounds (51 vs. 45). Ingram had a standout performance in the game, putting up 34 points and seven rebounds.
Games including the Lakers have finished under the total 50.9 percent of the time. Los Angeles heads into the contest with records of 45-13 straight up (SU) and 31-25-1 against the spread (ATS).
Games featuring the Pelicans have a tendency to finish over the total (55.9 percent). Additionally, New Orleans is 26-33 SU and 28-27-4 ATS.
This has potential to be a sloppy game for the offense of New Orleans. New Orleans ranks 27th in the NBA in ball protection (turnover percentage of 14.6 percent), while the pesky defense of Los Angeles forces the fifth-most turnovers in the NBA (14.5 percent).
Los Angeles Lakers at New Orleans Pelicans Free Pick
NBA Tip: SU Winner – Pelicans, ATS Winner – Pelicans, O/U – Under
- The Lakers average 26.2 assists per game, which ranks seventh in the league. The Pelicans rank 15th in assists allowed per game (24.5).
- Los Angeles averages 53.5 points in the paint per game, which ranks second in the league. New Orleans ranks 27th in points allowed in the paint per game (52.9).
- The Lakers rank fourth in steals per game (8.6) while the Pelicans rank 27th in steals allowed per game (8.4).
- Los Angeles ranks second in second chance points per game (14.6) while New Orleans ranks 23rd in second chance points allowed per game (13.8).
- Los Angeles ranks first in blocks per game (6.9) while New Orleans ranks 10th (5.2).
- The Lakers rank third in points off turnovers per game (18.8) while the Pelicans rank 27th in points off turnovers allowed per game (19.2).
- The Lakers rank first in rebounds allowed per game (41.9) while the Pelicans rank 16th (45.3).
- New Orleans averages 37.6 three pointers per game, which ranks sixth in the league. Los Angeles ranks seventh in three pointers allowed per game (32.6).
- Los Angeles averages 19.0 fast break points per game, which ranks second in the league. New Orleans ranks 26th in fast break points allowed per game (15.5).
- In games where they allow less than 100 points, Los Angeles is 16-0 and New Orleans is 3-0.
- The Pelicans are 26-30 when they reach 100 points, while the Lakers are 41-11.
- Los Angeles is 16-13 ATS on the road, while New Orleans is 14-15 ATS at home.
- The Lakers have 16 overs and 13 unders in 29 road games.
- The Pelicans have 16 overs and 13 unders in 29 home games.
- In their last five games, Los Angeles and New Orleans have both had 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Lakers are 4-1 ATS over their last five games, while the Pelicans are 2-3.
- During their last five games, the Lakers have scored an average of 110.6 points per game (3.8 below their season average) and allowed an average of 103.4 points per game (3.6 below their season average).
- The Pelicans have outscored opponents by an average of 5.0 points in their last five games. For the season, New Orleans has been defeated by an average of 0.9 points.