The Boston Celtics (8-2) welcome the Los Angeles Lakers (5-5) to TD Garden. The Celtics will try to extend their eight-game winning streak. The Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 208 points with Boston set as a 9-point favorite. Action begins at 8 p.m. ET on Wednesday, November 8, 2017, and it can be seen on ESPN.
Los Angeles Lakers vs. Boston Celtics ATS Preview
The Lakers were victorious over the Memphis Grizzlies in their last contest, 107-102. With 13 points and 12 rebounds, Kyle Kuzma played well for Los Angeles. Los Angeles played a nearly flawless game. They had a free throw rate of 0.212 (above their season average of 0.186) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 19.5 (above their season average of 18.9). Memphis was 0.126 and 13.6, respectively, for those same stats.
The last time the Celtics played, they defeated the Orlando Magic, 104-88. Boston was led by Marcus Smart, who finished with 11 points, eight rebounds and eight assists. The Celtics held the Magic to an effective field goal percentage of 0.396 (below their season average of 0.552) and had a better offensive rebounding percentage (20.5 vs. 18.2).
Boston figures to have the edge on the defensive side of the ball. The Celtics rank first in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.470), while Los Angeles is 16th in effective field goal percentage (0.514). It will also be a showdown of opposite styles as the fast-breaking Lakers rank second in possessions per game, while the more half-court oriented Celtics rank 29th.
Of Los Angeles’ 10 games, five have finished over the projected point total, while 7 of Boston’s 11 games have finished under the O/U total. The Celtics come into this game with a significant advantage in terms of straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records. They are 8-2 SU and 9-2 ATS, while the Lakers are 5-5 SU and 6-4 ATS.
This is the first time these teams will go head-to-head this year. The Celtics won both contests played against each other last season. In the last contest, Boston won 115-95. The Celtics played a nearly perfect game. They had an offensive rebounding percentage of 17.6 and a free throw rate of 0.226. The Lakers put up marks of 13.0 and 0.172, respectively, for those same stats.
Los Angeles Lakers vs. Boston Celtics ATS Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Celtics, ATS Winner – Celtics, O/U – Over
- The Celtics rank third in fast break points allowed per game (7.5) while the Lakers rank 22nd (12.8).
- Boston ranks third in rebounds per game (48.0) while Los Angeles ranks 18th in rebounds allowed per game (45.2).
- Los Angeles ranks fifth in blocks per game (5.5) while Boston ranks 23rd (3.9).
- Boston ranks fourth in second chance points allowed per game (9.2) while Los Angeles ranks eighth (11.2).
- Los Angeles is 2-1 ATS on the road with 2 overs and 1 under.
- At home, Boston is 3-1 ATS with 3 overs and 1 under.
- In games where they allow under 100 points, Boston is 8-0 and Los Angeles is 2-1.
- The Celtics are 6-1 when they reach the century mark, while the Lakers are 5-2.
- The Celtics rank third in three pointers allowed per game (25.3) while the Lakers rank 19th (31.0).
- Los Angeles ranks first in points in the paint per game (56.4) while Boston ranks 25th (39.2).
- The Celtics rank fourth in points off turnovers allowed per game (14.5) while the Lakers rank 27th (21.0).
- The Celtics rank ninth in assists per game (22.8) while the Lakers rank 14th in assists allowed per game (22.0).
- Boston ranks second in steals allowed per game (6.2) while Los Angeles ranks 22nd (9.4).
- Boston is 4-1 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Los Angeles is 4-1 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Celtics’ average margin of victory in their last five games has been 14.0, up from 9.7 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Lakers have scored an average of 107.0 points per game (0.5 above their season average) and allowed an average of 103.2 points per game (4.1 below their season average).