Squaring off for the final time this season, the Los Angeles Kings and the Philadelphia Flyers take the ice at the Wells Fargo Center in a West-versus-East showdown. The first puck drops at 7 p.m. ET on Monday, December 18, and it can be caught live on NBC Sports Philadelphia.
Los Angeles Kings at Philadelphia Flyers Odds
Philadelphia (-125) is currently the favorite over Los Angeles (+105), and the Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 6 goals. The line for betting the total stands at -135 for the under and +115 for the over.
Los Angeles is 20-14 straight up (SU) and has earned moneyline bettors 3.8 units this season. Through 34 regular season outings, 17 of its games have gone under the total, while 15 have gone over and just two have pushed. This 2017-18 Kings team is 10-7 SU on the road.
Los Angeles has converted on just 16.5 percent of its power play opportunities this season, a figure that places them in the bottom-10 overall among NHL teams. Having said that, it has the third-best penalty kill in the league, and it has successfully killed off 86.7 percent of its penalties.
For the team as a whole, Los Angeles has been whistled for penalties 3.9 times per game overall this season, 3.8 per game over its last five matchups total, and 4.2 per game over its last five road outings. The team has had to kill penalties just 7.6 minutes per game over their last 10 outings.
With a .924 save percentage and 27.7 saves per game, Jonathan Quick (15-11-1) has been the best option in goal for Los Angeles this year. If head coach John Stevens decides to rest him, however, Los Angeles could roll with Darcy Kuemper (5-5-3 record, .934 save percentage, 2.11 goals against average).
The visiting Kings have relied heavily on Anze Kopitar and Dustin Brown this season. Kopitar has 39 points on 17 goals and 22 assists, and has recorded multiple points in 11 different games. Brown has 12 goals and 15 assists to his credit (and has logged at least one point in 17 games).
On the other bench, Philadelphia is 14-18 straight up (SU) and has lost 6.5 units for moneyline bettors this year. Through 32 regular season matches, 16 of its games have gone over the total, while 15 have gone under and just one has pushed. It’s 7-10 SU at home this season.
Philadelphia has converted on 19.4 percent of its power play chances this year, a mark that’s right around league average. On the other hand, its penalty kill is ranked 28th overall, and it’s successfully killed off 77.1 percent of all penalties.
Philadelphia skaters have been whistled for penalties 3.8 times per game in total this season, and 1.8 per game over their last five match ups. The team has been forced to stave off opponent power plays just 6.1 minutes per game over their last 10 outings.
Brian Elliott (27.6 saves per game) has been the top option in goal for Philadelphia. Elliott has 12 wins, 13 losses, and six overtime losses to his credit and has recorded a .915 save percentage and 2.61 goals against average this year.
Jakub Voracek (seven goals, 33 assists) will pace the attack for the Flyers.
Los Angeles Kings at Philadelphia Flyers Betting Predictions
Predictions: SU Winner – Kings, O/U – Over
- The total has gone under in three of Philadelphia’s last five games.
- Los Angeles has attempted 31.1 shots per contest overall this season (ranked 18th in the NHL), and 28.3 in its last 10 games.
- The Flyers are 4-10 SU when they serve more penalty minutes than their opponent while the Kings are 9-6 SU in games where they serve more minutes than the opposition.
- Philadelphia is 0-2 in games decided by a shootout this season while Los Angeles is 2-0 in shootouts.
- Philadelphia is ranked 28th in the NHL with 5.5 takeaways per game. That figures trended upward, as the team has created 6.1 takeaways over its last 10 games and 6.2 takeaways over its last five.
- Los Angeles has scored 3.0 goals per game as a team this season, but is down to 2.0 goals per contest over its last three games (0-3 SU over that span).
- Los Angeles is ranked 30th in the league with 5.2 takeaways per game. That figure has trended higher, as it’s created 5.8 takeaways over its last 10 games and 5.8 takeaways over its last five.