The United Center will play host to a Western Conference matchup as the Los Angeles Kings visit the Windy City to take on the Chicago Blackhawks. NBC Sports Chicago will broadcast the matchup, and the puck drops at 7 p.m. ET on Sunday, December 3.
Los Angeles Kings at Chicago Blackhawks Odds
Los Angeles is 16-11 straight up (SU) and has netted moneyline bettors 3.0 units this year. Through 27 regular season matches, 15 of its games have gone under the total, while 10 have gone over and just two have pushed. As a road team this season, the Kings are 9-4 SU.
Los Angeles has converted on just 16.7 percent of its power play opportunities this year, a mark that places them in the bottom-5 overall among NHL teams. Its penalty kill is ranked second overall, and it has successfully killed off a whopping 89.0 percent of all penalties.
For the team as a whole, Los Angeles has been whistled for penalties 4.0 times per game overall in the 2017-18 season, and 3.0 per game over its last five on the road. The teams been forced to stave off opponent power plays just 8.4 minutes per game over their last 10 outings.
Averaging 28.6 saves per game with a .929 save percentage, Jonathan Quick (12-9-1) has been the top option in goal for Los Angeles this season. If Los Angeles chooses to rest him, however, head coach John Stevens could go with Darcy Kuemper (4-4-2 record, .944 save percentage, 1.72 goals against average).
Anze Kopitar and Dustin Brown will both lead the offensive attack for the visiting Kings. Kopitar (29 points) is up to 13 goals and 16 assists, and has recorded two or more points in seven different games. Brown has 10 goals and 11 assists to his name (and has registered a point in 14 games).
On the other side of the ice, Chicago is 12-13 straight up (SU) and has lost 3.9 units for moneyline bettors this year. Through 25 regular season matches, 12 of its games have gone over the total, while another 12 have gone under and just one has pushed. It’s 6-6 SU at home this year.
Chicago has converted on just 17.3 percent of its power play opportunities this season, a figure that’s ranked 23rd in the NHL. On the other hand, its penalty kill is ranked sixth overall, and it’s successfully killed off 83.5 percent of all opponent power plays.
Chicago skaters have been sent to the penalty box 4.1 times per game in total this season, and 3.2 per game over their last five home outings. The team has had to stave off opponent power plays just 7.2 minutes per game over their last 10 outings.
Corey Crawford (29.2 saves per game) has been the top choice in goal for Chicago. Crawford has 11 wins, 10 losses, and two OT losses and has maintained a sharp .930 save percentage and 2.29 goals against average this season.
Patrick Kane (10 goals, 17 assists) will lead the attack for the Blackhawks.
Los Angeles Kings vs. Chicago Blackhawks Free Picks
Predictions: SU Winner – Blackhawks, O/U – Over
- The under has hit in three of Chicago’s last five outings.
- Los Angeles has managed 29.0 shot attempts per game over its last five road games while Chicago is averaging 36.4 shots per game over its last five at home.
- The Kings are 6-4 SU when they serve more penalty minutes than their opponent while the Blackhawks are 3-3 SU in games where they serve more minutes than their opponent.
- Chicago skaters have created 8.4 takeaways per game over its last five home games, a slight drop from its season average of 7.8 takeaways per game (ranked 13th).
- Los Angeles has allowed just 3.8 goals per game (while scoring 1.3 per contest) over the teams four-game winning streak.
- Los Angeles has managed 7.0 takeaways per game over its last five road games, an improvement over its season average of 5.2 takeaways per game (ranked 29th in the league).