The Utah Jazz (18-27) will try to put an end to the six-game winning streak of Los Angeles when they welcome the Clippers (23-21) to Vivint Smart Home Arena. Tip-off is set for 9 p.m. ET on Saturday, January 20, 2018.
Los Angeles Clippers vs. Utah Jazz Betting Preview
In the Clippers last outing, they beat the Denver Nuggets, 109-104. Blake Griffin was the games leading scorer with 20 points on 9-for-19 shooting. The Clippers had a better free throw rate (0.218 vs. 0.155) and held the Nuggets to an effective field goal percentage of 0.459 (below their season average of 0.523).
The Jazz are trying to rebound after their 117-115 loss to the New York Knicks in their last matchup. Rudy Gobert led Utah in scoring with 23 points on 7-for-10 shooting. New York had a better turnover percentage (10.8 vs. 14.0). Utah, on the other hand, had an offensive rebounding percentage of 34.1 (above their season average of 19.5).
Los Angeles should have the advantage on the offensive side of the ball. The Clippers rank ninth in effective field goal percentage (0.523), while Utah ranks 20th in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.530).
Of Los Angeles 44 games, 24 have finished over the projected point total, while 23 of Utah’s 44 games have finished under the O/U total. The Clippers hold a clear advantage in terms of straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records. They are 23-21 SU and 25-18-1 ATS, while the Jazz are 18-27 SU and 22-22 ATS.
Both teams have had a player heat up over their last five games. For the Clippers, it’s been Lou Williams, who has averaged 34.2 points, 5.6 assists and 1.2 steals, while the Jazz have received great contributions from Donovan Mitchell (27.0 points and 1.8 steals).
These two teams have met twice already this year, each winning once. Alec Burks scored a game-high 28 points in the most recent matchup, in which the Jazz beat the Clippers 126-107, covering as 1-point favorites. He also recorded seven rebounds and five assists. The two teams combined for 233 points, which was 31 points above the projected point total of 202 points. The Jazz’s turnover percentage was their largest advantage over the Clippers. Utah had a rate of 12.5, while Los Angeles posted a mark of 18.6.
Los Angeles Clippers vs. Utah Jazz Free Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Clippers, ATS Winner – Clippers, O/U – Over
- The Clippers rank fourth in points in the paint per game (48.7) while the Jazz rank 24th (41.8).
- Utah averages 17.1 points off turnovers per game, which ranks 12th in the league. Los Angeles ranks 19th in points off turnovers allowed per game (17.5).
- Utah ranks fourth in assists allowed per game (20.3) while Los Angeles ranks 22nd (23.7).
- Los Angeles ranks 14th in rebounds per game (43.5) while Utah ranks 16th in rebounds allowed per game (43.0).
- Los Angeles is 12-8-1 ATS on the road with 11 overs and 10 unders.
- At home, Utah is 13-8 ATS with 14 unders and 7 overs.
- In games where they hold opponents under 100 points, Los Angeles is 10-2 and Utah is 10-4.
- When scoring above 100 points, the Jazz are 16-11 and the Clippers are 21-14.
- The Jazz average 30.3 three pointers per game, which ranks ninth in the NBA. The Clippers rank 16th in three pointers allowed per game (29.0).
- Utah ranks second in steals per game (9.2) while Los Angeles ranks 26th in steals allowed per game (8.5).
- The Jazz rank fourth in fast break points allowed per game (9.3) while the Clippers rank 28th (14.8).
- The Jazz rank 15th in blocks per game (4.7) while the Clippers rank 20th in blocks allowed per game (5.2).
- Los Angeles ranks fourth in second chance points per game (14.1) while Utah ranks 25th (10.6).
- Utah is 3-2 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Los Angeles is 5-0 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Jazz’s average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 2.0, up from 0.9 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Clippers have scored an average of 118.8 points per game (11.3 above their season average) and allowed an average of 106.4 points per game (0.3 below their season average).