A nine-game home winning streak is on the line for the Miami Heat (31-13) when they welcome the Los Angeles Clippers (31-14) to AmericanAirlines Arena. The game can be seen on ESPN at 8 p.m. ET on Friday, January 24, 2020.
Los Angeles Clippers vs. Miami Heat Betting Odds
Neither team was able to cover in their last outing. The Heat (10-point favorites) defeated the Washington Wizards, 134-129, while the Clippers (5-point favorites) were defeated by the Atlanta Hawks, 102-95. The Miami game went 34 points over the projected point total of 229, while the Los Angeles game went 32.5 points under the projected point total of 229.5.
The Heat knocked down 31 of their 36 free throws (86.1 percent) and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.606 (above their season average of 0.547). Los Angeles, meanwhile, had a free throw rate of 0.321 (above their season average of 0.229). Miami rallied around Jimmy Butler, who had 24 points, 10 assists and seven rebounds. Meanwhile, Montrezl Harrell had a good game for Los Angeles, contributing 30 points and seven rebounds.
This series was highly competitive last year. Each won one of the two games played against each other last season. In the last matchup, the Clippers won 111-99. The Clippers’ turnover percentage was their biggest strength over the Heat. Los Angeles had a rate of 6.9, while Miami posted a mark of 13.1. This will be the first contest of the year between these two teams.
Games involving the Clippers have typically finished under the total (55.6 percent). Los Angeles heads into the contest with records of 31-14 straight up (SU) and 23-21-1 against the spread (ATS).
Unlike Los Angeles, Heat games tend to finish over the O/U total (61.4 percent). Further, Miami owns records of 31-13 SU and 24-18-2 ATS.
The Clippers’ Landry Shamet has been playing well over his last five games, averaging 11 points per game. Meanwhile, Kendrick Nunn has averaged 24 points,3.4 assists,1.2 steals during that same time frame for the Heat.
From an effective field goal percentage perspective, this will be a matchup of two heavyweights. The sweet-shooting Miami offense ranks third in the NBA in that metric at 0.549, while the top-notch Los Angeles defense is ranked fourth in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.503). Moreover, the Clippers rank third in offensive rebounding percentage (24.8 percent), while the Heat rank third in defensive rebounding percentage (79.7 percent).
Los Angeles Clippers vs. Miami Heat Odds Pick
NBA Tip: SU Winner – Heat, ATS Winner – Heat, O/U – Over
- Los Angeles ranks second in second chance points per game (15.0) while Miami ranks 27th (11.8).
- The Clippers rank third in rebounds per game (48.1) while the Heat rank 17th (45.4).
- Los Angeles ranks 14th in blocks per game (5.0) while Miami ranks 26th (4.1).
- Los Angeles ranks eighth in points in the paint per game (49.6) while Miami ranks ninth in points allowed in the paint per game (46.1).
- The Clippers rank fourth in points off turnovers per game (18.4) while the Heat rank 25th (15.8).
- The Clippers rank 18th in three pointers attempted per game (32.6) while the Heat rank 28th in three pointers allowed per game (37.5).
- Miami ranks fifth in fast break points allowed per game (12.0) while Los Angeles ranks 22nd (14.5).
- In games where they allow under 100 points, Miami is 5-1 and Los Angeles is 12-0.
- The Heat are 30-8 when they score over 100 points, while the Clippers are 29-9.
- Los Angeles is 10-12 ATS on the road, while Miami is 14-6-1 ATS at home.
- The Clippers have 13 unders and 9 overs in 22 road games.
- In 21 home games, the Heat have 14 overs and 7 unders.
- In their last five games, Los Angeles and Miami are both 3-2 ATS.
- The Clippers have 3 unders and 2 overs over their last five games, while the Heat have 3 overs and 2 unders
- The Clippers’ average margin of victory in their last five games has been 10.2, up from 6.2 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Heat have scored an average of 115.0 points per game (2.9 above their season average) and allowed an average of 111.4 points per game (3.0 above their season average).