The New Orleans Pelicans (27-21) will try to extend a five-game home winning streak when they meet the Los Angeles Clippers (24-24) at Smoothie King Center. The Over/Under (O/U) for the game has been set at 227.5 points with New Orleans opening as a 1-point favorite. Tip-off is scheduled for 4 p.m. ET on Sunday, January 28, 2018, and it can be seen on Fox Sports – New Orleans.
Los Angeles Clippers at New Orleans Pelicans Odds Preview
In the Clippers last game, they were victorious over the Memphis Grizzlies, 109-100. Lou Williams was the top scorer from either team with 40 points on 12-for-19 shooting. Los Angeles played a nearly perfect game. They had a solid turnover percentage of 9.7 (better than their season average of 13.3) and a free throw rate of 0.263 (above their season average of 0.227). Memphis was 17.6 and 0.173, respectively, for those same stats.
The Pelicans will look to keep it rolling after edging the Houston Rockets in their last game, 115-113. New Orleans rallied around Anthony Davis, who was the teams high scorer with 27 points on 10-for-22 shooting. The Pelicans held the Rockets to an offensive rebounding percentage of 5.3 (below their season average of 22.5) and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.604 (above their season average of 0.548).
New Orleans figures to have the edge on the offensive side of the ball. The Pelicans currently rank sixth in offensive efficiency, while Los Angeles ranks 18th in defensive efficiency.
Games including these teams tend to go over the projected point total. Los Angeles games have finished over 56.3 percent of the time, while New Orleans games have gone over 60.4 percent of the time. The Pelicans have the significant advantage straight up (SU) (27-21 vs. 24-24), but both teams have similar against the spread (ATS) records. New Orleans is 26-22, while Los Angeles is 26-21-1 ATS.
Williams has really been playing well over the last five games for Los Angeles, averaging 23.8 points, 7.0 assists and 2.4 steals per game.
These teams have already met once this season. In that game, the two teams combined to put up 214 points, just under the projected point total of 218. The Pelicans won 111-103, covering as 6-point favorites. New Orleans had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (21.6 vs. 15.7). Los Angeles, on the other hand, had a much better turnover percentage (10.1 vs. 20.3). DeMarcus Cousins put up a double-double in the victory with 35 points and 15 rebounds.
Los Angeles Clippers at New Orleans Pelicans Betting Prediction
Prediction: SU Winner – Clippers, ATS Winner – Clippers, O/U – Over
- The Clippers rank fifth in second chance points per game (13.6) while the Pelicans rank 21st in second chance points allowed per game (13.2).
- Los Angeles ranks 16th in three pointers allowed per game (29.1) while New Orleans ranks 28th (31.5).
- New Orleans ranks fifth in blocks allowed per game (4.2) while Los Angeles ranks 20th (5.1).
- New Orleans ranks 16th in rebounds per game (43.1) while Los Angeles ranks 23rd in rebounds allowed per game (44.2).
- New Orleans is 11-12 ATS at home, while Los Angeles is 13-9-1 ATS on the road.
- The total has gone over in 17 of the Pelicans 23 home games, while 12 of the Clippers 23 road games have gone over.
- In games where they allow below 100 points, New Orleans is 8-1 and Los Angeles is 10-2.
- When scoring above 100 points, the Clippers are 22-17 and the Pelicans are 25-14.
- The Clippers average 8.0 steals per game, which ranks 13th in the league. The Pelicans rank 26th in steals allowed per game (8.5).
- New Orleans ranks second in assists per game (26.5) while Los Angeles ranks 23rd (21.8).
- The Clippers rank third in points in the paint per game (49.0) while the Pelicans rank 22nd in points allowed in the paint per game (45.9).
- The Clippers average 16.7 points off turnovers per game, which ranks 16th in the league. The Pelicans rank 25th in points off turnovers allowed per game (18.0).
- Los Angeles ranks 10th in fast break points per game (13.2) while New Orleans ranks 28th in fast break points allowed per game (13.8).
- New Orleans is 2-3 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Los Angeles is 2-3 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Pelicans average margin of victory in their last five games has been 3.4, up from 0.4 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Clippers have scored an average of 110.2 points per game (2.5 above their season average) and allowed an average of 113.6 points per game (6.2 above their season average).