The Longwood Lancers (6-22, 3-12 BigSou), who are currently on a nine-game losing streak, will try to get back in the win column when they head to Winthrop Coliseum to go head-to-head with the Winthrop Eagles (17-9, 11-4 BigSou). Action begins at 2 p.m. ET on Sunday, February 18, 2018.
Longwood Lancers vs. Winthrop Eagles Odds Preview
In the Lancers last matchup, they were beaten by the Charleston Southern Buccaneers, 77-65. Damarion Geter put together a good performance for Longwood, contributing 10 points and 14 rebounds. Charleston Southern had a turnover percentage of 11.3 (better than their season average of 17.6). Longwood, meanwhile, did an excellent job of making free throws (14-19; 73.7 percent).
The Eagles hope to maintain momentum after thoroughly outplaying the Gardner-Webb Runnin’ Bulldogs in their last matchup, 90-71. Winthrop received a boost from Xavier Cooks, who was the games leading scorer with 36 points on 14-for-23 shooting. Winthrop played a nearly perfect game. They had a phenomenal free throw rate of 0.417 (above their season average of 0.246) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 32.4 (above their season average of 27.2). For those same stats, Gardner-Webb put up marks of 0.188 and 15.0, respectively.
Winthrop could dominate on the offensive side of the ball as their high-octane offense squares off against one of the worst defenses in the NCAA. The Eagles rank 60th in offensive efficiency, while Longwood ranks 276th in defensive efficiency.
Geter has been superb over the last five games for Longwood, averaging 11.6 points, 7.0 rebounds and 1.4 blocks per game.
These teams have already met once this season. The Eagles won 95-78. The Eagles played a nearly flawless game. They had a solid offensive rebounding percentage of 28.6 and a turnover percentage of 14.9. The Lancers put up marks of 15.4 and 23.7, respectively, for those same stats. Cooks was the games top overall scorer with 26 points.
Longwood Lancers vs. Winthrop Eagles Odds Prediction
Free Basketball Pick: SU Winner – Longwood, ATS Winner – Longwood, O/U – Over
- The Eagles average 6.9 steals per game, which ranks 68th in the NCAA. The Lancers rank 211th in steals allowed per game (8.1).
- Winthrop ranks 33rd in blocks per game (4.6) while Longwood ranks 143rd (3.1).
- Winthrop averages 25.4 three pointers per game, which ranks 45th in the NCAA. Longwood ranks 253rd in three pointers allowed per game (25.0).
- The Eagles rank 72nd in assists per game (15.2) while the Lancers rank 274th (10.3).
- Winthrop ranks 88th in rebounds per game (37.0) while Longwood ranks 262nd (32.4).
- The Eagles average margin of victory in their last five games has been 9.4, down from 9.7 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Lancers have scored an average of 61.8 points per game (2.5 below their season average) and allowed an average of 75.4 points per game (0.1 above their season average).