The Grand Canyon Antelopes (8-3) will be at home in Grand Canyon University Arena when they go head-to-head with the Longwood Lancers (3-9). Action starts at 8 p.m. ET on Thursday, December 21, 2017, and it can be seen on ESPN 3.
Longwood Lancers vs. Grand Canyon Antelopes ATS Preview
In the Lancers last contest, they were blown out by the No. 3 Arizona State Sun Devils, 95-61. With 16 points on 5-for-8 shooting, Kamil Chapman led Longwood in scoring. Arizona State’s 11.5 turnover percentage was their largest strength over Longwood, who had a mark of 28.3. The Sun Devils mark was better than their season average of 14.7, while the Lancers was above their season average of 19.9.
The Antelopes come in on a high note after blowing out the Mississippi Valley State Delta Devils in their last matchup, 71-38. With 16 points on 3-for-9 shooting, Joshua Braun was the games leading scorer. Grand Canyon dominated every facet of the game. They had a phenomenal offensive rebounding percentage of 43.2 (above their season average of 30.8) and a free throw rate of 0.296 (above their season average of 0.262). Mississippi Valley State was 21.4 and 0.157, respectively, for those same stats.
Looking at effective field goal percentage, Grand Canyon figures to have a noteworthy edge. The Antelopes defense ranks eighth in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.424), while the Longwood offense is ranked 279th in effective field goal percentage (0.483). Ball protection could be troublesome for the Lancers. They rank 333rd at avoiding errors (turnover percentage of 22.9 percent), while the Antelopes force the 19th-most turnovers in the NCAA (opponents turnover percentage of 25.0 percent).
Longwood Lancers vs. Grand Canyon Antelopes Odds Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Longwood, ATS Winner – Longwood, O/U – Under
- The Antelopes average 6.9 steals per game, which ranks 86th in the NCAA. The Lancers rank 186th in steals allowed per game (8.6).
- Longwood allows the 16th-fewest blocks per game (2.2) while Grand Canyon ranks 47th (2.7).
- Grand Canyon ranks third in three pointers allowed per game (14.3) while Longwood ranks 258th (27.9).
- The Antelopes rank 52nd in rebounds per game (39.3) while the Lancers rank 252nd in rebounds allowed per game (41.8).
- Grand Canyon ranks 52nd in assists per game (16.2) while Longwood ranks 236th (10.4).
- The Antelopes average margin of victory in their last five games has been 11.8, down from 12.8 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Lancers have scored an average of 59.8 points per game (5.3 below their season average) and allowed an average of 77.8 points per game (2.3 above their season average).