The No. 2 Michigan State Spartans (10-1) and the Long Beach State 49ers (5-8) face off at Jack Breslin Student Events Center. The Spartans look to prolong their nine-game winning streak. Michigan State opened as a 29-point favorite, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game has been set at 152 points. Action starts at 7 p.m. ET on Thursday, December 21, 2017.
Long Beach State 49ers at Michigan State Spartans Odds Preview
In the 49ers last outing, they fell to the Eastern Michigan Eagles, 85-80. Gabe Levin put together a good game for Long Beach State, leading the team in scoring with 22 points on 7-for-14 shooting. Eastern Michigan had an effective field goal percentage of 0.621 (above their season average of 0.539). Long Beach State, meanwhile, did a fantastic job of converting from the free throw line (15-19; 78.9 percent).
The Spartans come in on a high note after thoroughly outplaying the Houston Baptist Huskies in their last contest, 107-62. Michigan State was lifted by Miles Bridges, who was the top scorer from either team with 33 points on 11-for-14 shooting. The Spartans, who came into the game averaging an effective field goal percentage of 0.553, had a phenomenal mark of 0.732 and had a free throw rate of 0.446 (above their season average of 0.263).
Michigan State could have their way on the offensive side of the ball as their high-powered offense squares off against one of the worst defenses in the nation. The Spartans currently rank 23rd in offensive efficiency, while Long Beach State ranks 326th in defensive efficiency.
Of Long Beach State’s 12 games that accepted bets, seven have finished over the projected point total, while 5 of Michigan State’s 10 games have finished over the O/U total. The Spartans come into this game with much better straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records. They are 10-1 SU and 7-5 ATS, while the 49ers are 5-8 SU and 6-6 ATS.
Long Beach State 49ers vs. Michigan State Spartans ATS Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Michigan State, ATS Winner – Long Beach State, O/U – Under
- The 49ers average 6.9 steals per game, which ranks 85th in the nation. The Spartans rank 133rd in steals allowed per game (6.9).
- Michigan State ranks seventh in rebounds per game (43.6) while Long Beach State ranks 228th (33.0).
- The Spartans average 19.8 assists per game, which ranks fifth in the nation. The 49ers rank 211th in assists allowed per game (16.5).
- Michigan State averages 9.0 blocks per game, which ranks first in the NCAA. Long Beach State ranks 92nd in blocks allowed per game (3.4).
- The Spartans average margin of victory in their last five games has been 25.4, up from 21.3 for the season.
- During their last five games, the 49ers have scored an average of 78.6 points per game (3.1 above their season average) and allowed an average of 84.8 points per game (1.3 above their season average).