The Long Beach State 49ers (4-6) travel to Southern Utah to play the Thunderbirds (4-3) in a game that will likely be up-tempo. Long Beach State opened as a 3-point favorite, while the games Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 166 points. Tip-off is scheduled for 8:30 p.m. ET on Wednesday, December 6, 2017.
Long Beach State 49ers vs. Southern Utah Thunderbirds Odds Preview
The 49ers beat the Stanford Cardinal in their last game, 76-68. With 13 points, eight assists and five rebounds, Deishuan Booker played well for Long Beach State. Long Beach State played a nearly perfect game. They had a free throw rate of 0.182 (matching their season average) and a turnover percentage of 13.9 (better than their season average of 21.3). For those same stats, Stanford was 0.105 and 21.7, respectively.
In the Thunderbirds last game, they thoroughly outplayed the San Diego Christian Hawks, 87-68. With 21 points on 9-for-18 shooting, Brandon Better was the top scorer from either team. Southern Utah dominated every stat category in the game. They had a solid offensive rebounding percentage of 32.1 (above their season average of 25.3) and a free throw rate of 0.528 (above their season average of 0.273). San Diego Christian had marks of 15.6 and 0.314, respectively, for those same stats.
There should be plenty of transition offense in this battle that features a pair of the nation’s more up-and-down teams. Southern Utah ranks 27th in possessions per game (74.5) and Long Beach State is 29th (72.7) dating back to last season.
Games featuring these teams have a tendency to go over the projected point total. Long Beach State games have gone over 55.6 percent of the time, while Southern Utah games have finished over 60.0 percent of the time. The Thunderbirds hold a clear advantage in terms of straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records. They are 4-3 SU and 5-0 ATS, while the 49ers are 4-6 SU and 5-4 ATS.
Long Beach State 49ers vs. Southern Utah Thunderbirds Betting Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Southern Utah, ATS Winner – Southern Utah, O/U – Over
Betting Notes (2016-Present):
- The 49ers rank 120th in assists per game (13.4) while the Thunderbirds rank 279th in assists allowed per game (15.3).
- Southern Utah ranks 125th in rebounds per game (36.6) while Long Beach State ranks 259th (35.2).
- Southern Utah ranks 78th in steals allowed per game (5.6) while Long Beach State ranks 274th (7.5).
- The 49ers rank 53rd in blocks per game (3.1) while the Thunderbirds rank 240th in blocks allowed per game (4.5).
- Southern Utah ranks 55th in three pointers attempted per game (24.5) while Long Beach State ranks 233rd (18.4).