The Appalachian State Mountaineers (14-17, 9-9 SBC) and the Little Rock Trojans (7-24, 4-14 SBC) face off in the Sun Belt Conference Tourney at Lakefront Arena. The game’s Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 134 points with Appalachian State opening as a 3.5-point favorite. Tip-off is scheduled for 3 p.m. ET on Wednesday, March 7, 2018, and it can be seen on ESPN 3.
Little Rock Trojans vs. Appalachian State Mountaineers Betting Preview
The Trojans beat the Louisiana Ragin’ Cajuns in their last contest, 72-61. With 17 points and 11 rebounds, Oliver Black had a solid outing for Little Rock. The Trojans had a turnover percentage of 13.6 (better than their season average of 18.9) and held the Ragin’ Cajuns to an effective field goal percentage of 0.386 (below their season average of 0.544).
In the Mountaineers’ last matchup, they defeated the Coastal Carolina Chanticleers, 76-67. With 20 points on 7-for-10 shooting, Craig Hinton was the game’s high scorer. Appalachian State dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a turnover percentage of 12.6 (better than their season average of 16.7) and a free throw rate of 0.411 (above their season average of 0.242). Coastal Carolina was 19.8 and 0.345, respectively, for those same stats.
Conflicting paces will be on display in this meeting. Appalachian State has preferred an up-tempo style of play (61st in possessions per game), while Little Rock has been slower-paced (307th in possessions per game).
Of Little Rock’s 23 games that accepted bets, 11 have finished over the O/U total, while 14 of Appalachian State’s 28 games have finished under the O/U total. The Mountaineers hold a significant advantage in terms of straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records. They are 14-17 SU and 13-13-2 ATS, while the Trojans are 7-24 SU and 9-12-2 ATS.
These two teams have already met twice this year, with the Mountaineers winning both. In the most recent contest, the Trojans lost 69-67, resulting in a push. Jaizec Lottie put up 17 points and nine rebounds. The two teams combined to score 136 points, which was just 1.5 points below the projected point total of 137.5 points. The Mountaineers played a nearly perfect game. They had a great free throw rate of 0.277 and a great effective field goal percentage of 0.596. For those same stats, the Trojans were 0.192 and 0.548, respectively.
Little Rock Trojans vs. Appalachian State Mountaineers Prediction
Free Prediction: SU Winner – Appalachian State, ATS Winner – Little Rock, O/U – Under
- The Mountaineers rank 105th in blocks per game (3.5) while the Trojans rank 140th in blocks allowed per game (3.5).
- Appalachian State averages 26.3 three pointers per game, which ranks 35th in the NCAA. Little Rock ranks 246th in three pointers allowed per game (23.8).
- The Mountaineers rank 22nd in rebounds per game (39.2) while the Trojans rank 204th (34.0).
- Little Rock ranks 47th in steals allowed per game (5.3) while Appalachian State ranks 165th (6.6).
- Appalachian State is 2-2-1 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Little Rock is 3-1-1 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over.
- The Mountaineers’ average margin of victory in their last five games has been 1.6, down from 1.9 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Trojans have scored an average of 65.0 points per game (1.3 above their season average) and allowed an average of 64.2 points per game (5.1 below their season average).