Asun foes will clash when the USC Upstate Spartans (6-18, 1-6 Asun) challenge the Lipscomb Bisons (14-8, 4-3 Asun) at G.B. Hodge Center. Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m. ET on Monday, January 29, 2018, and it can be seen on ESPN 3.
Lipscomb Bisons at USC Upstate Spartans Betting Preview
The Bisons were victorious over the NJIT Highlanders in their last matchup, 86-79. Rob Marberry was the top scorer from either team with 29 points on 12-for-18 shooting. The Bisons made 29 of their 34 free throws (85.3 percent) and held the Highlanders to an offensive rebounding percentage of 18.9 (below their season average of 31.5).
The last time the Spartans played, they were defeated by the Kennesaw State Owls, 81-80. Ramel Thompkins led USC Upstate in scoring with 21 points on 6-for-14 shooting. Kennesaw State did an excellent job of converting from the free throw line (23-28; 82.1 percent). USC Upstate, on the other hand, made 11 of their 27 three pointers (40.7 percent).
It could be a tough game for USC Upstate on the offensive glass. The Spartans currently rank 261st in offensive rebounding percentage (26.8 percent), while Lipscomb ranks 15th in defensive rebounding percentage (76.9 percent). Also, the Bisons are among the NCAA’s elite at getting to the line, ranking 39th in free throw attempt (FTA) rate (0.287). The Spartans, meanhwile, rank 255th at keeping opponents off the charity stripe with an opponents FTA rate of 0.260.
Marberry has been playing at a high level over the last five games for Lipscomb, averaging 18.4 points per game.
These teams have already met once this season. The Bisons won 92-78. The Bisons dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a fantastic offensive rebounding percentage of 36.4 and a phenomenal free throw rate of 0.367. For those same stats, the Spartans had marks of 26.2 and 0.273, respectively. Marberry was the games leading scorer with 24 points.
Lipscomb Bisons at USC Upstate Spartans Prediction
Pick: SU Winner – USC Upstate, ATS Winner – USC Upstate, O/U – Over
- The Spartans rank 24th in steals allowed per game (4.9) while the Bisons rank 141st (6.7).
- USC Upstate ranks 10th in three pointers attempted per game (28.9) while Lipscomb ranks 114th in three pointers allowed per game (21.3).
- Lipscomb ranks 28th in rebounds per game (39.6) while USC Upstate ranks 258th (31.9).
- The Spartans rank 13th in blocks allowed per game (2.3) while the Bisons rank 174th (4.6).
- Lipscomb ranks 105th in assists per game (14.6) while USC Upstate ranks 253rd in assists allowed per game (18.8).
- The Spartans average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 9.4, up from 9.0 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Bisons have scored an average of 83.0 points per game (2.9 above their season average) and allowed an average of 82.8 points per game (5.8 above their season average).