he Winthrop Eagles (7-7, 1-2 BigSou) will attempt to extend a five-game home winning streak when they challenge the Liberty Flames (11-5, 2-1 BigSou) at Winthrop Coliseum. Tip-off is set for 7 p.m. ET on Tuesday, January 9, 2018.
Liberty Flames vs. Winthrop Eagles Betting Preview
he last time the Flames played, they defeated the Presbyterian Blue Hose, 60-48. Georgie Pacheco-Ortiz led Liberty in scoring with 14 points on 6-for-10 shooting. Liberty dominated every facet of the game. They had a free throw rate of 0.140 (matching their season average) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 26.5 (above their season average of 26.1). For those same stats, Presbyterian recorded marks of 0.036 and 17.5, respectively.
he Eagles are hoping for a better outcome after their 88-77 loss to the Campbell Fighting Camels in their last outing. Xavier Cooks was Winthrop’s high scorer with 24 points on 8-for-18 shooting. Campbell did a terrific job of getting and making free throws (31-37; 83.8 percent). Winthrop, on the other hand, held the Fighting Camels to an offensive rebounding percentage of 10.0 (below their season average of 24.3).
his game should be a matchup of contrasting paces. Winthrop likes to play up-tempo (20th in possessions per game), while Liberty is more half-court-oriented (297th in possessions per game). Additionally, the Flames are among the NCAA’s best at getting to the line, ranking 45th in free throw attempt (FTA) rate (0.286). The Eagles, meanhwile, rank 304th in opponents FTA rate (0.291).
cottie James has really been playing well over the last five games for Liberty, averaging 13.0 points and 10.4 rebounds per game.
his will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams, after the Eagles won both matchups last season. In the most recent matchup, Winthrop won 84-67. The Eagles dominated every stat category in the game. They had an offensive rebounding percentage of 25.8 and a turnover percentage of 13.0. The Flames recorded marks of 18.8 and 16.7, respectively, for those same stats.
Liberty Flames vs. Winthrop Eagles Free Prediction
redictions: SU Winner – Liberty, ATS Winner – Liberty, O/U – Under
- The Flames rank 31st in assists allowed per game (11.1) while the Eagles rank 67th (12.2).
- Liberty is 18th in the nation with 2.3 blocks allowed per game while Winthrop is 44th with 2.8 blocks allowed per game.
- Liberty ranks 10th in rebounds allowed per game (30.2) while Winthrop ranks 228th (38.8).
- The Eagles rank 26th in three pointers attempted per game (26.9) while the Flames rank 204th in three pointers allowed per game (24.7).
- Winthrop ranks 37th in steals per game (8.0) while Liberty ranks 99th (6.5).
- The Eagles have been outscored by an average of 1.4 points in their last five games. On the season, Winthrop has defeated opponents by an average of 7.6 points.
- During their last five games, the Flames have scored an average of 67.2 points per game (7.2 below their season average) and allowed an average of 60.8 points per game (0.9 above their season average).