SthLnd foes will collide when the New Orleans Privateers (5-8, 2-0 SthLnd) take on the Lamar Cardinals (10-4, 2-0 SthLnd) at Lakefront Arena. Tip-off is set for 8 p.m. ET on Wednesday, January 3, 2018.
Lamar Cardinals at New Orleans Privateers Odds Preview
The Cardinals defeated the Texas A&M-Corpus Christi Islanders in their last game, 77-72. Colton Weisbrod was the top scorer from either team with 26 points on 9-for-16 shooting. Lamar played a nearly perfect game. They had a solid effective field goal percentage of 0.573 (above their season average of 0.511) and a free throw rate of 0.255 (above their season average of 0.241). Texas A&M-Corpus Christi was 0.433 and 0.209, respectively, for those same stats.
In the Privateers last matchup, they beat the Houston Baptist Huskies, 64-57. With 18 points on 6-for-13 shooting, Travin Thibodeaux was New Orleans leading scorer. The Privateers made 14 of their 18 free throws (77.8 percent) and held the Huskies to an effective field goal percentage of 0.422 (below the 0.556 mark opponents have averaged against New Orleans this season).
New Orleans might have a tough time putting up points as they go head-to-head against one of the nations best defenses. Lamar ranks 23rd in defensive efficiency, while the Privateers rank 278th in offensive efficiency.
Thibodeaux has really been playing well over the last five games for New Orleans, averaging 18.4 points, 5.8 rebounds and 1.8 steals per game.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams. The Privateers won the sole contest played against each other last season, 66-62. New Orleans had a better turnover percentage (18.0 vs. 21.2). Lamar, on the other hand, had a much better free throw rate (0.380 vs. 0.197).
Lamar Cardinals vs. New Orleans Privateers Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Lamar, ATS Winner – Lamar, O/U – Under
- The Cardinals rank 154th in three pointers attempted per game (21.8) while the Privateers rank 277th (12.2).
- Lamar averages 10.2 steals per game, which ranks sixth in the NCAA. New Orleans ranks 172nd in steals allowed per game (8.3).
- The Privateers rank 15th in rebounds allowed per game (30.5) while the Cardinals rank 171st (36.4).
- Lamar ranks 71st in assists allowed per game (12.1) while New Orleans ranks 225th (16.5).
- The Privateers have outscored opponents by an average of 5.8 points in their last five games. On the season, New Orleans has lost by an average of 1.4 points.
- During their last five games, the Cardinals have scored an average of 71.2 points per game (6.2 below their season average) and allowed an average of 70.6 points per game (5.0 above their season average).