The La Salle Explorers (7-10, 1-3 A10) can snap a five-game road losing streak when they challenge the Duquesne Dukes (12-5, 3-1 A10) at A.J. Palumbo Center. Action gets underway at 12:30 p.m. ET on Saturday, January 13, 2018, and it can be seen on NBC Sports Network.
La Salle Explorers at Duquesne Dukes Free Preview
In the Explorers last matchup, they fell to the Massachusetts Minutemen, 86-79. La Salle’s Pookie Powell put together a solid performance, leading the team in scoring with 30 points on 12-for-23 shooting. Massachusetts had a turnover percentage of 12.4 (better than their season average of 18.0). La Salle, meanwhile, held the Minutemen to an offensive rebounding percentage of 20.6 (below their season average of 29.5).
The Dukes are hoping for a better outcome after their 78-67 loss to the VCU Rams in their last matchup. Mike Lewis II was the games high scorer with 23 points on 8-for-15 shooting. VCU did a terrific job of making free throws (21-29; 72.4 percent). Duquesne, meanwhile, had a much better turnover percentage (10.1 vs. 16.9).
Duquesne could have their way on the defensive side of the ball as they battle against one of the worst offenses in the NCAA. The Dukes currently rank 48th in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.466), while La Salle is 261st in effective field goal percentage (0.491).
Powell has been playing at a high level over the last five games for La Salle, averaging 23.8 points, 5.2 rebounds and 1.2 steals per game.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams. The Explorers won the lone contest played against each other last season, 88-81. La Salle did a fantastic job of getting and making free throws (24-25; 96.0 percent). Duquesne, on the other hand, had a better turnover percentage (13.9 vs. 14.9).
La Salle Explorers vs. Duquesne Dukes ATS Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Duquesne, ATS Winner – Duquesne, O/U – Under
- The Explorers are 36th in the NCAA with 11.3 assists allowed per game while the Dukes are 58th with 11.9 assists allowed per game.
- Duquesne allows the 11th-fewest three pointers per game (17.2) while La Salle ranks 32nd (19.0).
- Duquesne ranks 45th in blocks per game (4.5) while La Salle ranks 144th (2.6).
- The Dukes average 37.6 rebounds per game, which ranks 88th in the nation. The Explorers rank 161st in rebounds allowed per game (35.8).
- Duquesne is 17th in the NCAA with 4.8 steals allowed per game while La Salle is 57th with 5.8 steals allowed per game.
- The Dukes average margin of victory in their last five games has been 5.4, down from 9.3 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Explorers have scored an average of 75.8 points per game (4.3 above their season average) and allowed an average of 77.6 points per game (5.2 above their season average).