SEC foes will clash when the No. 10 Auburn Tigers (22-3, 10-2 SEC) challenge the Kentucky Wildcats (17-8, 6-6 SEC) at Auburn Arena. Auburn opened as an 8.5-point favorite, while the games Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 158 points. Action begins at 9 p.m. ET on Wednesday, February 14, 2018, and it can be seen on ESPN2.
Kentucky Wildcats at Auburn Tigers Free Preview
The Wildcats were beaten by the Texas A&M Aggies in their last game, 85-74. With 19 points on 9-for-12 shooting, Shai Gilgeous-Alexander was the top scorer from either team. Texas A&M had a free throw rate of 0.212 (above their season average of 0.202). Kentucky, on the other hand, held the Aggies to an offensive rebounding percentage of 28.6 (below their season average of 35.3).
The last time the Tigers played, they defeated the Georgia Bulldogs, 78-61. With 24 points on 8-for-13 shooting, Jared Harper was the top scorer from either team. Auburn dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a turnover percentage of 12.4 (better than their season average of 14.7) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 26.7 (below their season average of 34.5). For those same stats, Georgia was 19.2 and 17.9, respectively.
The offensive glass could be a huge advantage for Auburn in this battle. The Tigers rank 37th in offensive rebounding percentage (34.2 percent), while Kentucky ranks 262nd in defensive rebounding percentage (69.4 percent). Additionally, the Wildcats rank 22nd in free throw attempt (FTA) rate (0.295), while the Tigers rank 287th in opponents FTA rate (0.274).
Of Kentucky’s 24 games that accepted bets, 13 have finished over the projected point total, while 11 of Auburn’s 22 games have finished over the projected point total. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Tigers have a substantial advantage. They are 22-3 SU and 16-6 ATS, while the Wildcats are 17-8 SU and 9-15-1 ATS.
Mustapha Heron has really been playing well over the last five games for Auburn, averaging 20.4 points, 7.0 rebounds and 1.4 steals per game.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams. The Wildcats won the sole game played against each other last season, 92-72. The Wildcats played a flawless game. They had a solid free throw rate of 0.304 and a fantastic offensive rebounding percentage of 38.7. The Tigers put up marks of 0.081 and 24.3, respectively, for those same stats.
Kentucky Wildcats at Auburn Tigers Odds Prediction
Free College Basketball Pick: SU Winner – Kentucky, ATS Winner – Kentucky, O/U – Over
- The Wildcats rank 38th in rebounds per game (38.9) while the Tigers rank 109th in rebounds allowed per game (34.0).
- Auburn averages 15.1 assists per game, which ranks 83rd in the nation. Kentucky ranks 135th in assists allowed per game (13.5).
- On the road, Kentucky is 4-5-1 ATS with 5 overs and 5 unders.
- At home, Auburn is 7-3 ATS with 6 overs and 4 unders.
- Auburn ranks 36th in three pointers attempted per game (26.0) while Kentucky ranks 307th (14.6).
- The Tigers rank eighth in blocks per game (5.8) while the Wildcats rank 145th in blocks allowed per game (3.8).
- Auburn ranks 44th in steals per game (7.4) while Kentucky ranks 159th (5.8).
- Auburn is 4-1 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Kentucky is 1-4 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Tigers average margin of victory in their last five games has been 12.4, down from 13.0 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Wildcats have scored an average of 71.8 points per game (4.2 below their season average) and allowed an average of 74.4 points per game (3.9 above their season average).