The Akron Zips (12-17, 5-12 MAC) and Kent State Golden Flashes (15-15, 9-8 MAC) will battle at James A. Rhodes Arena to finish out the regular season. Akron opened as a 1.5-point favorite, while the game’s Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 146.5 points. Tip-off is set for 12 p.m. ET on Friday, March 2, 2018.
Kent State Golden Flashes at Akron Zips Odds Preview
The Golden Flashes beat the Miami (OH) RedHawks in their last game, 90-83. With 17 points and 18 rebounds, Kent State’s Danny Pippen played well. The Golden Flashes held the RedHawks to an offensive rebounding percentage of 13.9 (below their season average of 29.6) and had a free throw rate of 0.279 (above their season average of 0.235).
The last time the Zips played, they were beaten by the Buffalo Bulls, 80-68. With 15 points, seven rebounds and six assists, Jimond Ivey played well for Akron. Buffalo did a great job of converting from the charity stripe (18-24; 75.0 percent). Akron, meanwhile, had an offensive rebounding percentage of 33.3 (above their season average of 27.5).
Kent State appears to have an advantage on the offensive glass in this matchup. The Golden Flashes rank 80th in offensive rebounding percentage (32.0 percent), while Akron ranks 191st in defensive rebounding percentage (71.3 percent).
Of Kent State’s 25 games with betting action, 13 have finished over the O/U total, while 15 of Akron’s 27 games have finished under the projected point total. The Golden Flashes have the significant advantage straight up (SU) (15-15 vs. 12-17), but both teams are right around the .500 mark against the spread (ATS).
Jalen Avery has been exceptional over the last five games for Kent State, averaging 11.4 points per game.
These teams have already met once this season. In that game, the two teams combined for 146 points, just under the projected point total of 147. The Golden Flashes won 78-68, covering as 6-point favorites. The Golden Flashes played a flawless game. They had a ridiculous free throw rate of 0.407 and a fantastic offensive rebounding percentage of 35.5. For those same stats, the Zips were 0.321 and 29.4, respectively. Jaylin Walker was the game’s leading scorer with 27 points.
Kent State Golden Flashes at Akron Zips ATS Prediction
Free Prediction: SU Winner – Akron, ATS Winner – Akron, O/U – Under
- The Golden Flashes rank 138th in rebounds per game (35.6) while the Zips rank 158th in rebounds allowed per game (35.0).
- Akron is 7-6 ATS at home, while Kent State is 4-9 ATS on the road.
- The total has gone under in 7 of the Zips’ 13 home games, while 7 of the Golden Flashes’ 13 road games have gone under.
- Akron averages 26.5 three pointers per game, which ranks 30th in the nation. Kent State ranks 142nd in three pointers allowed per game (21.7).
- The Zips rank 182nd in assists per game (12.9) while the Golden Flashes rank 234th (11.8).
- Kent State averages 3.4 blocks per game, which ranks 102nd in the nation. Akron ranks 123rd in blocks allowed per game (3.5).
- Akron is 2-3 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Kent State is 3-2 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Zips’ average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 7.0, up from 3.8 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Golden Flashes have scored an average of 76.0 points per game (2.0 above their season average) and allowed an average of 77.2 points per game (3.0 above their season average).