The Washington State Cougars (7-3) and the Kansas State Wildcats (9-2) battle at Spokane Arena. Kansas State opened as a 9.5-point favorite, while the games Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 146 points. Tip-off is set for 11 p.m. ET on Wednesday, December 20, 2017, and it can be seen on ESPN2.
Kansas State Wildcats vs. Washington State Cougars Betting Preview
The Wildcats dismantled the Southeast Missouri State Redhawks in their last outing, 89-71. Xavier Sneed was the top scorer from either team with 23 points on 9-for-10 shooting. The Wildcats had a ridiculous offensive rebounding percentage of 41.7 (above their season average of 31.2) and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.723 (above their season average of 0.548).
The last time the Cougars played, they topped the IUPUI Jaguars, 72-59. Washington State’s Drick Bernstine had a good game, finishing with nine points, 13 rebounds and five assists. The Cougars were 8-9 from the foul line (88.9 percent) and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.627 (above their season average of 0.551).
From an effective field goal percentage perspective, this will be a matchup of two heavyweights. The elite Washington State offense ranks 44th in the nation in that metric at 0.557, while the top-notch Kansas State defense is ranked 36th in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.455). The Wildcats should be expected to protect the ball well. They rank 29th at avoiding errors (turnover percentage of 16.3 percent). Conversely, the Cougars force the 28th-fewest turnovers in the nation (opponents turnover percentage of 16.2 percent).
Of Kansas State’s 8 games with betting action, four have finished over the O/U total, while 5 of Washington State’s 9 games have finished under the O/U total. The Wildcats have the better straight up (SU) record (9-2 vs. 7-3), but the Cougars hold the substantial advantage against the spread (ATS) (6-3 vs. 2-6).
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams. The Wildcats won the sole contest played against each other last season, 70-56. The Wildcats played a nearly flawless game. They had a great offensive rebounding percentage of 28.6 and an effective field goal percentage of 0.508. For those same stats, the Cougars were 18.9 and 0.430, respectively.
Kansas State Wildcats vs. Washington State Cougars ATS Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Kansas State, ATS Winner – Kansas State, O/U – Over
- The Wildcats rank 35th in steals per game (8.2) while the Cougars rank 147th (5.5).
- Kansas State is fourth in the nation with 1.5 blocks allowed per game while Washington State is 55th with 2.8 blocks allowed per game.
- Kansas State ranks 30th in rebounds allowed per game (31.4) while Washington State ranks 191st (37.2).
- The Wildcats rank 110th in three pointers attempted per game (22.8) while the Cougars rank 255th in three pointers allowed per game (27.6).
- Kansas State averages 17.0 assists per game, which ranks 29th in the nation. Washington State ranks 162nd in assists allowed per game (14.3).
- Washington State is 2-3 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Kansas State is 1-3 ATS with 3 overs and 1 under.
- The Cougars have been outscored by an average of 5.6 points in their last five games. On the season, Washington State has defeated opponents by an average of 2.0 points.
- During their last five games, the Wildcats have scored an average of 78.0 points per game (0.5 above their season average) and allowed an average of 65.6 points per game (3.6 above their season average).