The Kansas State Wildcats (10-2) will attempt to put an end to the nine-game winning streak of Iowa State when they head to James H. Hilton Coliseum to meet the Cyclones (9-2). Iowa State is a 2-point favorite on the opening line, while the games Over/Under (O/U) opened at 144 points. Action gets underway at 9 p.m. ET on Friday, December 29, 2017, and it can be seen on ESPNU.
Kansas State Wildcats vs. Iowa State Cyclones Free Preview
The Wildcats edged the Washington State Cougars in their last game, 68-65. Barry Brown led Kansas State in scoring with 23 points on 8-for-17 shooting. Kansas State played a nearly flawless game. They had a free throw rate of 0.233 (matching their season average) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 30.8 (below their season average of 32.1). Washington State had marks of 0.097 and 24.4, respectively, for those same stats.
In the Cyclones last matchup, they defeated the Maryland Eastern Shore Hawks, 55-49. Iowa State rallied around Nick Weiler-Babb, who had seven points, 12 rebounds and six assists. The Cyclones held the Hawks to an effective field goal percentage of 0.331 (below their season average of 0.411). The Hawks had a free throw rate of 0.092 (below their season average of 0.193).
Kansas State should be expected to protect the ball well in this contest. Kansas State ranks 24th in the nation at avoiding errors (turnover percentage of 15.9 percent), while Iowa State forces the 83rd-fewest turnovers (17.9 percent).
These two teams are complete opposites in terms of the O/U total. Kansas State games have finished under 55.6 percent of the time, while games involving Iowa State have gone over 55.6 percent of the time. Both teams have outstanding straight up (SU) records (10-2 for Kansas State; 9-2 for Iowa State), but the Cyclones have the advantage against the spread (ATS). Iowa State is 3-5-1 ATS, while the Wildcats are 2-7.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams, after the Cyclones won both contests last season. In the most recent contest, Iowa State won 87-79. Iowa State made good use of their 26 trips to the charity stripe, converting on 22 of them (84.6 percent). Kansas State, meanwhile, was 15-21 (71.4 percent).
Kansas State Wildcats at Iowa State Cyclones ATS Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Kansas State, ATS Winner – Kansas State, O/U – Over
- The Wildcats rank 43rd in assists per game (16.6) while the Cyclones rank 139th (13.6).
- Kansas State ranks first in blocks allowed per game (1.5) while Iowa State ranks 48th (2.7).
- Kansas State is 1-4 ATS on the road, while Iowa State is 1-2-1 ATS at home.
- The total has gone under in 3 of the Wildcats 5 road games, while 2 of the Cyclones 4 home games have gone overKansas State ranks 42nd in rebounds allowed per game (31.8) while Iowa State ranks 163rd (35.5).
- The Wildcats rank 41st in steals per game (8.0) while the Cyclones rank 151st (5.5).
- Kansas State ranks 116th in three pointers attempted per game (23.0) while Iowa State ranks 223rd in three pointers allowed per game (25.5).
- Iowa State is 1-1-1 ATS with 3 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Kansas State is 1-3 ATS with 2 overs and 2 unders.
- The Cyclones average margin of victory in their last five games has been 11.4, up from 6.2 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Wildcats have scored an average of 76.2 points per game (0.6 below their season average) and allowed an average of 65.0 points per game (2.8 above their season average).