The Texas Longhorns (15-8, 5-5 Big 12) will attempt to extend a five-game home winning streak when they challenge the Kansas State Wildcats (16-7, 5-5 Big 12) at Frank Erwin Special Events Center. The games Over/Under (O/U) opened at 132.5 points with Texas set as a 5-point favorite. Action gets underway at 8 p.m. ET on Wednesday, February 7, 2018.
Kansas State Wildcats at Texas Longhorns Odds Preview
The Wildcats lost big to the No. 15 West Virginia Mountaineers in their last matchup, 89-51. Xavier Sneed had a good performance for Kansas State, putting up 16 points and five rebounds. West Virginia’s 0.647 effective field goal percentage was their largest advantage over Kansas State, who had a mark of 0.394. The Mountaineers mark was above their season average of 0.492, while the Wildcats was below their season average of 0.549.
In the Longhorns last game, they topped the No. 12 Oklahoma Sooners, 79-74. Kerwin Roach II had a good game for Texas, contributing 19 points. The Longhorns knocked down 20 of their 27 free throws (74.1 percent), while the Sooners had a turnover percentage of 20.3 (above their season average of 15.2).
The game should be a battle of strength against strength as the productive offense of Kansas State takes on the elite defense of Texas. The Wildcats rank 59th in offensive efficiency, while the Longhorns are 33rd in defensive efficiency.
Both teams have had a player heat up over their last five games. For the Wildcats, it’s been Dean Wade, who has averaged 21.0 points, 7.0 rebounds, 3.8 assists, 1.4 steals and 1.2 blocks, while the Longhorns have gotten great contributions from Mohamed Bamba (17.0 points, 12.2 rebounds and 4.6 blocks).
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams. The Wildcats won both contests played against each other last season. In the last game, Kansas State won 64-61. Kansas State had a better effective field goal percentage (0.628 vs. 0.556). Texas, meanwhile, had a much better turnover percentage (16.1 vs. 21.2).
Kansas State Wildcats vs. Texas Longhorns Betting Prediction
College Basketball Prediction: SU Winner – Texas, ATS Winner – Texas, O/U – Over
- The Wildcats rank 25th in steals per game (7.9) while the Longhorns rank 134th (6.1).
- Texas ranks 119th in three pointers attempted per game (22.6) while Kansas State ranks 135th in three pointers allowed per game (21.7).
- Texas ranks 100th in rebounds per game (36.7) while Kansas State ranks 281st (30.2).
- The Wildcats rank 94th in assists per game (14.8) while the Longhorns rank 243rd (11.8).
- Texas ranks 11th in blocks per game (5.7) while Kansas State ranks 152nd (2.9).
- The Longhorns have been outscored by an average of 0.6 points in their last five games. For the season, Texas has defeated opponents by an average of 5.9 points.
- During their last five games, the Wildcats have scored an average of 65.2 points per game (9.1 below their season average) and allowed an average of 72.2 points per game (4.5 above their season average).