Expect a low-scoring game when the Texas Longhorns (9-3) and the No. 11 Kansas Jayhawks (10-2) face off at Frank Erwin Special Events Center. Kansas is a 2-point favorite on the opening line, while the games Over/Under (O/U) opened at 136 points. Action starts at 9 p.m. ET on Friday, December 29, 2017, and it can be seen on ESPN2.
Kansas Jayhawks at Texas Longhorns Odds Preview
The Jayhawks had no trouble getting past the Stanford Cardinal in their last outing, 75-54. Udoka Azubuike was the top scorer from either team with 24 points on 12-for-15 shooting. The Jayhawks held the Cardinal to an effective field goal percentage of 0.393 (below their season average of 0.520) and had a better turnover percentage (14.4 vs. 17.5).
The last time the Longhorns played, they beat the Alabama Crimson Tide, 66-50. With 17 points on 7-for-10 shooting, Mohamed Bamba was the top scorer from either team. The Longhorns made 11 of their 14 free throws (78.6 percent) and held the Crimson Tide to an effective field goal percentage of 0.369 (below their season average of 0.546).
Points could be at a premium as two of the nations top defenses face off. Texas currently ranks fifth in defensive efficiency (86.3) and Kansas is 23rd (91.3). Furthermore, the Jayhawks commit the 45th-fewest errors in the NCAA (turnover percentage of 16.6 percent), while the ball-hawking defense of the Longhorns causes the 52nd-most (opponents turnover percentage of 22.5 percent).
Games featuring these teams have typically gone under the O/U total. Kansas games have finished under 63.6 percent of the time, while Texas games have finished under 75.0 percent of the time. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Jayhawks have a substantial advantage. They are 10-2 SU and 7-4 ATS, while the Longhorns are 9-3 SU and 3-5 ATS.
This is the first time these teams will battle this year, after the Jayhawks won both meetings last season. In the last game, Kansas won 77-67. The Jayhawks dominated every facet of the game. They had a turnover percentage of 13.8 and a superb free throw rate of 0.288. For those same stats, the Longhorns were 19.4 and 0.218, respectively.
Kansas Jayhawks at Texas Longhorns Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Kansas, ATS Winner – Kansas, O/U – Under
- The Longhorns rank third in blocks allowed per game (1.8) while the Jayhawks rank 94th (3.4).
- Kansas ranks 41st in steals per game (8.0) while Texas ranks 110th (6.3).
- Kansas is 2-3 ATS on the road with 5 unders and 0 overs.
- Texas is 1-2 ATS at home with 3 unders and 0 overs.
- Kansas ranks third in assists per game (20.0) while Texas ranks 203rd (11.8).
- The Jayhawks rank 52nd in rebounds per game (38.9) while the Longhorns rank 181st in rebounds allowed per game (36.3).
- Kansas ranks 45th in three pointers attempted per game (25.9) while Texas ranks 166th (21.3).
- Texas is 2-3 ATS with 5 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Kansas is 2-3 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Longhorns average margin of victory in their last five games has been 5.8, down from 11.8 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Jayhawks have scored an average of 81.4 points per game (6.1 below their season average) and allowed an average of 71.8 points per game (6.1 above their season average).