A shootout should be expected when the No. 16 TCU Horned Frogs (13-1, 1-1 Big 12) and the No. 10 Kansas Jayhawks (11-3, 1-1 Big 12) clash at Ed & Rae Schollmaier Arena. Kansas opened as a 1-point favorite, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game has been set at 161 points. Action gets underway at 9:15 p.m. ET on Saturday, January 6, 2018, and it can be seen on ESPN2.
Kansas Jayhawks vs. TCU Horned Frogs Betting Preview
In the Jayhawks last game, they lost to the No. 18 Texas Tech Red Raiders, 85-73. With 27 points on 6-for-13 shooting, Devonte Graham was the games leading scorer. Texas Tech had an offensive rebounding percentage of 46.2 (above their season average of 35.1). Kansas, meanwhile, held the Red Raiders to an effective field goal percentage of 0.478 (below their season average of 0.555).
The Horned Frogs will look to keep it rolling after edging the Baylor Bears in their last contest, 81-78. TCU rallied around Vladimir Brodziansky, who led the team in scoring with 18 points on 6-for-12 shooting. TCU played a nearly perfect game. They had an effective field goal percentage of 0.561 (below their season average of 0.586) and a free throw rate of 0.298 (above their season average of 0.262). For those same stats, Baylor was 0.436 and 0.243, respectively.
The game should be a battle of strength against strength as the prolific offense of TCU (16th in the NCAA with an offensive efficiency of 119.9) takes on the stingy defense of Kansas (54th in the NCAA with a defensive efficiency of 95.4). Furthermore, the Jayhawks rank 41st in turnover percentage (16.5 percent), while the Horned Frogs rank 253rd in opponents turnover percentage (18.1 percent).
Both teams have had a player trending in the right direction over their last five games. For the Jayhawks, its been Udoka Azubuike, who has averaged 17.4 points, 10.2 rebounds and 1.4 blocks, while the Horned Frogs have gotten great contributions from Brodziansky (11.8 points and 1.8 blocks).
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams. The Jayhawks won two out of three matchups played against each other last season. In the last game, TCU won 85-82. The Horned Frogs dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a great offensive rebounding percentage of 29.4 and a turnover percentage of 17.1. The Jayhawks were 21.2 and 18.1, respectively, for those same stats.
Kansas Jayhawks vs. TCU Horned Frogs Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Kansas, ATS Winner – Kansas, O/U – Under
- The Jayhawks average 4.4 blocks per game, which ranks 54th in the nation. The Horned Frogs rank 84th in blocks allowed per game (3.3).
- Kansas ranks 47th in steals per game (7.6) while TCU ranks 72nd in steals allowed per game (5.9).
- Kansas ranks eighth in assists per game (18.9) while TCU ranks 221st in assists allowed per game (16.4).
- The Jayhawks rank 38th in three pointers attempted per game (26.6) while the Horned Frogs rank 191st in three pointers allowed per game (23.8).
- TCU ranks 11th in rebounds allowed per game (30.1) while Kansas ranks 128th (34.8).
- The Horned Frogs average margin of victory in their last five games has been 7.2, down from 12.9 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Jayhawks have scored an average of 84.4 points per game (2.4 below their season average) and allowed an average of 72.2 points per game (3.7 above their season average).