The No. 10 Kansas Jayhawks (16-3, 6-1 Big 12) look to continue their five-game winning streak against the No. 4 Oklahoma Sooners (14-4, 4-3 Big 12) at Lloyd Noble Center. Oklahoma opened as a 1-point favorite, while the games Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 171 points. Action starts at 7 p.m. ET on Tuesday, January 23, 2018.
Kansas Jayhawks vs. Oklahoma Sooners Free Preview
In the Jayhawks last contest, they barely escaped the Baylor Bears, 70-67. Malik Newman was the top scorer from either team with 24 points on 7-for-11 shooting. The Jayhawks had a fantastic free throw rate of 0.404 (above their season average of 0.165) and held the Bears to an effective field goal percentage of 0.433 (below their season average of 0.541).
The Sooners are trying to rebound after their 83-81 loss to the Oklahoma State Cowboys in their last game. Trae Young was the top scorer from either team with 48 points on 14-for-39 shooting. Oklahoma State held the Sooners to an effective field goal percentage of 0.402 (below their season average of 0.576). Oklahoma, on the other hand, did an excellent job of making free throws (15-17; 88.2 percent).
It might turn into a high-scoring affair as two of the NCAA’s top offenses clash. Oklahoma currently ranks 22nd with 116.3 points per 100 possessions and Kansas is 16th (117.7). The Jayhawks should have an advantage in terms of ball protection. They rank 39th at avoiding errors (turnover percentage of 16.6 percent). Conversely, the Sooners force the 74th-fewest turnovers in the NCAA (opponents turnover percentage of 17.5 percent).
In terms of the O/U total, these teams are complete opposites. Games involving Kansas have gone under 55.6 percent of the time, while Oklahoma games have finished over 70.6 percent of the time. Both teams have phenomenal straight up (SU) records (16-3 for Kansas; 14-4 for Oklahoma), but the Jayhawks have the edge against the spread (ATS). Kansas is 10-8 ATS, while the Sooners are 7-10.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams. The Jayhawks won both meetings played against each other last season. In the most recent matchup, Kansas won 73-63. Kansas had a much better effective field goal percentage (0.587 vs. 0.381). Oklahoma, on the other hand, had a much better turnover percentage (17.5 vs. 23.8).
Kansas Jayhawks vs. Oklahoma Sooners Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Kansas, ATS Winner – Kansas, O/U – Under
- The Jayhawks rank 43rd in blocks per game (4.5) while the Sooners rank 141st in blocks allowed per game (4.3).
- Kansas ranks 55th in steals per game (7.3) while Oklahoma ranks 112th in steals allowed per game (6.4).
- Kansas is 5-3 ATS on the road, while Oklahoma is 4-4 ATS at home.
- The total has gone under in 6 of the Jayhawks 8 road games, while 6 of the Sooners 8 home games have gone over.
- Kansas averages 25.9 three pointers per game, which ranks 39th in the NCAA. Oklahoma ranks 270th in three pointers allowed per game (26.7).
- The Jayhawks rank 12th in assists per game (17.8) while the Sooners rank 197th in assists allowed per game (14.9).
- Oklahoma ranks 15th in rebounds per game (40.7) while Kansas ranks 160th in rebounds allowed per game (35.6).
- Oklahoma is 1-4 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Kansas is 2-3 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Sooners have been outscored by an average of 3.6 points in their last five games. For the season, Oklahoma has defeated opponents by an average of 9.9 points.
- During their last five games, the Jayhawks have scored an average of 77.0 points per game (7.2 below their season average) and allowed an average of 73.4 points per game (3.6 above their season average).