The South Carolina State Bulldogs (3-9) will be at home in Smith-Hammond-Middleton Center when they clash against the Jacksonville Dolphins (4-7). Tip-off is set for 4 p.m. ET on Saturday, December 16, 2017.
Jacksonville Dolphins vs. South Carolina State Bulldogs Odds Preview
The last time the Dolphins played, they dismantled the Florida National Conquistadors, 89-51. With 14 points, 10 rebounds and six assists, JD Notae put together a good game for Jacksonville. Jacksonville dominated every facet of the game. They had a free throw rate of 0.234 (above their season average of 0.227) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.578 (above their season average of 0.466). Florida National had marks of 0.115 and 0.361, respectively, for those same stats.
The Bulldogs will look to maintain momentum after barely hanging on to beat the Charleston Southern Buccaneers in their last outing, 91-88. South Carolina State rallied around James Richardson, who was the games high scorer with 26 points on 9-for-17 shooting. South Carolina State played a nearly flawless game. They had a great free throw rate of 0.308 (above their season average of 0.213) and a turnover percentage of 15.3 (better than their season average of 19.4). Charleston Southern was 0.125 and 17.7, respectively, for those same stats.
From an effective field goal percentage perspective, Jacksonville should have a substantial advantage. The sweet-shooting Dolphins offense ranks 100th in the nation in that metric at 0.477, while the porous South Carolina State defense is ranked 321st in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.589).
Notae has been playing at a high level over the last five games for Jacksonville, averaging 14.2 points, 5.4 rebounds and 2.0 steals per game.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams, after the Dolphins won the only game last season, 89-85. Jacksonville had a much better turnover percentage (10.2 vs. 16.7). South Carolina State, on the other hand, had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (37.9 vs. 32.3).
Jacksonville Dolphins vs. South Carolina State Bulldogs Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Jacksonville, ATS Winner – Jacksonville, O/U – Under
- The Dolphins rank 163rd in assists per game (11.6) while the Bulldogs rank 204th in assists allowed per game (17.5).
- Jacksonville ranks 33rd in steals per game (7.5) while South Carolina State ranks 171st (6.5).
- The Dolphins rank 134th in rebounds allowed per game (39.4) while the Bulldogs rank 231st (38.7).
- Jacksonville averages 19.5 three pointers per game, which ranks 92nd in the NCAA. South Carolina State ranks 137th in three pointers allowed per game (25.4).
- The Bulldogs average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 8.2, down from 16.7 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Dolphins have scored an average of 75.6 points per game (2.1 above their season average) and allowed an average of 71.8 points per game (4.6 below their season average).