The Southern University Jaguars (5-11, 1-2 SWAC) will try to continue a five-game home winning streak when they take on the Jackson State Tigers (6-10, 3-0 SWAC) at F.G. Clark Center. Action starts at 8:30 p.m. ET on Monday, January 8, 2018.
Jackson State Tigers at Southern University Jaguars Odds Preview
The Tigers were victorious over the Alcorn State Braves in their last outing, 60-55. Maurice Rivers was Jackson State’s leading scorer with 15 points on 5-for-10 shooting. The Tigers had a turnover percentage of 12.4 (better than their season average of 14.3) and had an offensive rebounding percentage of 36.8 (above their season average of 32.5).
In the Jaguars last game, they defeated the Grambling State Tigers, 80-69. With 19 points on 4-for-7 shooting, Jarred Sam was the games leading scorer. The Jaguars made 32 of their 42 free throws (76.2 percent) and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.571 (above their season average of 0.443).
It could be a mistake-prone game for the Southern University offense. Southern University ranks 126th in the NCAA in ball protection (turnover percentage of 18.2 percent), while the pesky defense of Jackson State forces the 25th-most turnovers in the nation (23.8 percent).
This is the first time these teams will clash this year, after the Jaguars won two out of three matchups last season. In the last game, Southern University won 69-63. The Jaguars played a nearly perfect game. They had an absurd free throw rate of 0.583 and an effective field goal percentage of 0.427. For those same stats, the Tigers had marks of 0.176 and 0.375, respectively.
Jackson State Tigers vs. Southern University Jaguars Odds Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Southern University, ATS Winner – Southern University, O/U – Over
- The Tigers rank 130th in blocks per game (3.0) while the Jaguars rank 168th in blocks allowed per game (5.0).
- Southern University ranks 205th in assists per game (12.3) while Jackson State ranks 240th (11.3).
- Jackson State ranks 83rd in three pointers allowed per game (20.7) while Southern University ranks 226th (25.1).
- The Jaguars rank 119th in rebounds per game (36.7) while the Tigers rank 244th (32.6).
- Jackson State ranks ninth in steals allowed per game (4.6) while Southern University ranks 80th (6.1).
- The Jaguars have outscored opponents by an average of 3.2 points in their last five games. On the season, Southern University has been defeated by an average of 7.5 points.
- During their last five games, the Tigers have scored an average of 62.4 points per game (1.0 above their season average) and allowed an average of 67.4 points per game (1.6 below their season average).