The Jackson State Tigers (9-14, 6-4 SWAC) will be at the F.G. Clark Center to meet the Southern University Jaguars (3-20, 2-8 SWAC) in a SWAC matchup. The game starts at 8:30 p.m. ET on Monday, February 11, 2019.
Jackson State Tigers vs. Southern University Jaguars Betting Odds
Both teams were beaten in their last contest. The Jaguars lost big to the Grambling State Tigers, 59-40, while the Tigers lost to the Alcorn State Braves, 66-52.
Jackson State had a turnover percentage of 7.3 (better than their season average of 18.4) while Southern University had a turnover percentage of 15.7 (better than their season average of 21.2). Sidney Umude had a good game for Southern University, finishing with 17 points and seven rebounds. Jackson State was led by Venjie Wallis, who finished with 13 points and five rebounds.
In their first matchup this year, Wallis led the Tigers to a 64-58 win. He was the game’s leading scorer with 17 points. The Tigers’ 13.3 turnover percentage was their biggest strength over the Jaguars, who had a rate of 31.6.
The offense of Southern University (324th in the NCAA with an offensive efficiency of 95.2) will clash against the stingy defense of Jackson State (76th in the country with a defensive efficiency of 97.7). The Tigers figure to have the advantage on that side of the ball. It could also be a mistake-prone game for the offense of the Tigers, which ranks 295th in ball security (turnover percentage of 20.8 percent). They’ll be going up against the top-notch defense of the Jaguars, which forces the 46th-most turnovers in the country (22.0 percent).
Jackson State at Southern University ATS Pick
College Basketball Prediction: SU Winner – Southern University, ATS Winner – Southern University, O/U – Under
- Jackson State ranks 159th in rebounds per game (35.4) while Southern University ranks 276th (31.0).
- The Jaguars are 16th in the country with 18.5 three pointers allowed per game while the Tigers are 51st with 20.0 three pointers allowed per game.
- Southern University ranks 228th in assists per game (11.3) while Jackson State ranks 254th (10.5).
- The Jaguars average 6.7 steals per game, which ranks 91st in the country. The Tigers rank 196th in steals allowed per game (7.6).
- Jackson State averages 3.8 blocks per game, which ranks 73rd in the nation. Southern University ranks 140th in blocks allowed per game (3.7).
- The Jaguars’ average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 3.4, down from 11.7 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Tigers have scored an average of 61.6 points per game (3.5 above their season average) and allowed an average of 62.6 points per game (0.9 below their season average).