The Iowa State Cyclones (13-14, 4-11 Big 12) will try to put an end to a seven-game road losing streak when they meet the No. 21 West Virginia Mountaineers (20-8, 9-6 Big 12) at WVU Coliseum. Tip-off is scheduled for 6 p.m. ET on Saturday, February 24, 2018, and it can be seen on ESPN2.
Iowa State Cyclones at West Virginia Mountaineers Odds Preview
In the Cyclones last matchup, they lost to the TCU Horned Frogs, 89-83. With 27 points on 7-for-19 shooting, Donovan Jackson was the top scorer from either team. TCU had an effective field goal percentage of 0.640 (above their season average of 0.574). Iowa State, on the other hand, forced the Horned Frogs into a turnover percentage of 18.6 (above their season average of 15.2).
The Mountaineers come in on a high note after beating the Baylor Bears in their last matchup, 71-60. West Virginia’s Sagaba Konate played a pivotal role with 10 points, 10 rebounds and nine blocks. The Mountaineers held the Bears to an effective field goal percentage of 0.353 (below their season average of 0.529) and had a free throw rate of 0.340 (above their season average of 0.236).
The prolific offense of West Virginia (40th in the nation with an offensive efficiency of 113.3) will square off against the bottom-tier defense of Iowa State (269th in the nation with a defensive efficiency of 107.4). The Mountaineers should have the edge on that end of the court.
Cameron Lard has been solid over the last five games for Iowa State, averaging 17.8 points, 10.0 rebounds and 2.2 blocks per game.
These teams have already met once this season. The Cyclones won 93-77. Iowa State had a much better effective field goal percentage (0.707 vs. 0.500). West Virginia, meanwhile, had a better offensive rebounding percentage (45.0 vs. 41.7). Lard put up a double-double in the victory with 18 points and 13 rebounds.
Iowa State Cyclones vs. West Virginia Mountaineers Free Prediction
Pick: SU Winner – West Virginia, ATS Winner – West Virginia, O/U – Over
- The Mountaineers average 15.3 assists per game, which ranks 62nd in the nation. The Cyclones rank 187th in assists allowed per game (14.3).
- Iowa State averages 4.1 blocks per game, which ranks 57th in the NCAA. West Virginia ranks 149th in blocks allowed per game (3.9).
- West Virginia ranks 44th in three pointers attempted per game (25.5) while Iowa State ranks 245th in three pointers allowed per game (24.6).
- The Mountaineers rank 13th in steals per game (8.3) while the Cyclones rank 210th (5.1).
- West Virginia ranks 49th in rebounds per game (38.3) while Iowa State ranks 222nd in rebounds allowed per game (36.6).
- The Mountaineers average margin of victory in their last five games has been 3.6, down from 12.1 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Cyclones have scored an average of 74.4 points per game (0.6 above their season average) and allowed an average of 81.2 points per game (6.2 above their season average).